Black Bean and Corn Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms
Black beans and corn stuffed mushrooms are a quick & easy vegetarian dinner idea! You'll never make another stuffed mushroom recipe after trying this one!
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely diced bell pepper, any color pepper
- 1 can (15-oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-oz) corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 3/4 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms and gently remove the brown gills from inside the mushroom caps. Wash the mushrooms and dry with paper towels; set aside.
Melt butter; then, whisk in half of the minced garlic and chopped parsley. Brush the garlic-butter all over the mushrooms.
Transfer mushrooms to a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
In the meantime, prepare the filling: Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan set over medium-high heat. Add onions to the heated oil and cook for 1 minute.Stir in diced bell peppers and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just tender. Stir in remaining garlic; cook for 20 seconds. Add black beans and corn and season with salt, pepper, taco seasoning and chili powder.Continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Remove mushrooms from oven.
Divide up the prepared corn mixture between all 4 mushrooms.
Add shredded cheese over each mushroom.Return back to the oven and cook for 10 to 12 more minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.Top with chopped cilantro or parsley.Serve.
HOW TO GRILL:
- Preheat an outdoor grill.
- Spray outdoor grill with cooking oil.
- After brushing the mushrooms with the garlic butter mixture, place the mushroom caps, stem sides down, on grill rack; grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until softened. Cooking time will depend on the size of the mushrooms.
- Remove mushrooms from grill; spoon prepared corn mixture into each mushroom cap and top with shredded cheese.
- Put back over the grill rack; cover the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 966mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1571IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 3mg