CHICKEN BURRITO SKILLET
A festive, one-pan dish with juicy chunks of chicken, tender rice, tangy tomatoes, black beans, and cheese. It's a burrito in a skillet!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- Halved cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes, or until just browned on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Add remaining oil to the skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add onions to the hot oil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until starting to soften.
Stir in garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add rice; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and black beans.
Season with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder, and stir well to combine. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil.
Return chicken pieces to the skillet. Lower heat to a steady simmer; cover and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Start checking around the 18-minute mark.
Remove from heat; stir, then sprinkle with cheese and cover; let stand for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Garnish with tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Serve.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 833mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 338IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 3mg