You’ll love the easy, cheesy, saucy goodness of this sizzling Chicken Enchilada Casserole! All the flavor of made-from-scratch enchiladas, but so much easier!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Shredded chicken, black beans, corn, bell peppers and onions mingle deliciously in every bite of this tasty casserole swimming in enchilada sauce and topped with melting cheese. And it’s all so easy!
What I Love About this Recipe
Making every ingredient from scratch is great and all, but what I love about this recipe is that you can pull it together super easily, using pre-shredded chicken, canned beans and corn, prepared enchilada sauce and tortillas.
That makes it a truly easy weeknight recipe, you know? It fits the theme. 😊
- Olive Oil: For sautéing. I recommend a light olive oil for this.
- Onion and Bell Pepper: One of each, diced.
- Fresh Garlic: You’ll need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Black Beans: That’s a standard 15.5 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained.
- Canned Corn: And one standard 15.25 oz. can of sweet corn kernels, drained.
- Shredded Chicken: You’ll need 3 cups of shredded chicken. A rotisserie chicken is good for this, or you can definitely make your own!
- Chopped Green Chili: I use two fresh green chilis, but you can substitute canned chilis if you’d like. Use these to taste, as they can add some heat!
- Salt and Pepper
- Taco Seasoning: Use two tablespoons of your favorite taco blend.
- Prepared Enchilada Sauce: This recipe uses two cups total, or about 16 oz., of prepared enchilada sauce.
- Flour Tortillas: You’ll need 6 medium to large flour tortillas.
- Regular and White Cheddar: One cup of each, shredded. You can also use two cups of just one type of cheddar.
- Garnishes: Chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream, etc.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cook the Aromatics. Heat a large skillet over a medium heat and add the oil, onions and peppers. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the Other Filling Ingredients. Add the beans, corn, chicken and chilis. Cook for 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Add the Sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, and add the remaining sauce to the skillet and combine.
- Assemble the Casserole. Spread the reserved enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Place two tortillas on top to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle over 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Finally, repeat the layers two more times to make 3 layers total, ending with cheese.
- Bake the Casserole and Serve. Bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, cilantro and avocado.
Tips for Success
- Tortilla Substitution: You can substitute corn tortillas for the flour tortillas, but for best results, give them a very brief sauté in hot oil before using. This helps keep them from getting soggy.
- Don’t Overcook the Chicken. Since you’re using precooked chicken, be careful to only warm it up on the stove. Cooking it for too long or at too high a heat will dry it out.
- Let It Stand. For the best results, give the casserole an 8 to 10 minute rest before cutting and serving it. This will allow it to cool and stabilize.
Variation & Mix In Ideas
- Beef: You can also make this recipe with shredded beef or cooked and drained ground beef. Yum!
- Green Goodness: Using green enchilada sauce instead of red is a nice change!
- Taco Bar Toppings: Feel free to add any garnishes and mix-ins you might normally add to tacos or burrito bowls, from sautéed mushrooms to diced cucumber to black olives! This is a truly flexible recipe!
What Goes with Enchilada Casserole?
- Margaritas: I mean, why not, right? If you want to kick up the meal, it’s hard to top a delicious Frozen Pineapple Margarita!
- Salsa: A little fresh salsa cuts the richness of the Enchilada Casserole’s sauce and cheese. Try my Avocado Salsa for a delicious and healthy homemade version!
- A Yummy Dessert: Making a simple dessert is always a nice way to wrap up a meal. These No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies are a super-scrumptious option your family will love!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To refrigerate, wrap or cover the leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place in the oven at 350°F and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Can I Freeze Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
- If you’d like to freeze this casserole, try assembling but not baking.
- Then cool the casserole, cover tightly with foil and plastic wrap, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To cook, bake as as directed, adding 5-15 minutes as needed to heat through completely.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
For the Casserole:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15.5-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.25-oz can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 4-oz can green chilis
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 cup white cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Add oil to a large skillet and set over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and peppers to the heated oil and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the beans, corn, chicken, and chilis. Season with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning and continue to cook for 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and add the remaining enchilada sauce to the skillet and combine.
- Spread the reserved enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place two tortillas on top of the sauce so that they cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the shredded white cheddar and cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the tortilla, chicken, and cheese layers two more times to make 3 layers in total, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, and avocado.