This Grilled Pizza Capricciosa is an easy homemade pizza recipe that uses all your favorite ingredients. You’ll love everything about this simple Italian dinner idea!
An Easy Grilled Pizza Recipe
If you’ve never tried grilling pizza before, this recipe couldn’t have come at a better time. It’s quick and easy to make with refrigerated pizza dough! And when it comes to toppings, the sky is the limit.
What is Pizza Capricciosa?
The ingredients on this pizza are entirely up to you. That’s the beauty of this recipe! It’s made with different toppings in different regions of Italy, and you can add whichever ingredients you like. This recipe is the version my family loves, and there are tons of ways to change it up and make it your own!
- Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- Olive Oil
- Pizza Sauce: I use classic tomato sauce, but you can use pesto or alfredo sauce instead if you’d like.
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Deli Ham: I usually opt for roughly chopped ham to give my pizza nice big chunks of meat.
- Black Olives
- Artichoke Hearts
- Oregano: Garnish your pizza with dried oregano to add a tasty finishing touch.
How to Make Pizza Capricciosa
- Prepare for Grilling: Preheat your grill to HIGH. On a lightly floured cutting board or a cookie sheet, shape the pizza dough by flattening it with your hands.
- Grease Grill: When the grill is HOT, brush the grates with olive oil.
- Cook the Crust: Slide the pizza dough off the cookie sheet and onto the hot grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Check: Open the grill and see if the bottom of the pizza dough is lightly browned; if not, give it another minute to cook.
- Remove Crust: Remove pizza dough from the grill and transfer it back to the cookie sheet; flip it over so that the grilled side is now facing you. Keep your grill covered to retain heat.
- Add Sauce: Brush pizza dough with olive oil and spread pizza sauce over the dough.
- Add Cheese & Toppings: Add a layer of shredded cheese over the sauce. Arrange prepared ham, mushrooms, olives and artichokes on top of the cheese.
- Return to Grill: Slide the pizza back onto the grill.
- Reduce Heat: Turn the heat down to medium-high and close the lid.
- Cook: Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove & Garnish: Remove your pizza from the grill and transfer it onto a cutting board. Garnish with a sprinkle of dried oregano, if desired.
- Cool & Cut: Let rest for 2 minutes before cutting. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Grilled Pizza
- Adjust Toppings to Taste: You can change both the amount of toppings you use and the variety of your toppings. Try adding tomatoes, a chopped hard-boiled egg, sausage, or anything else your heart desires!
- Don’t Make the Crust Too Thin: Even if you love thin crust pizza, I recommend making it a bit thicker than usual for this recipe. This will keep your crust from getting too hard. It should be nice and crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
- Grill with Lid Closed: Close the lid on your grill while you’re cooking this pizza so it cooks evenly.
- Don’t Forget to Grease the Grill: It’s important that you don’t skip the step of greasing your grill grates. If you do, your dough will get stuck. 😕
What to Serve with Homemade Pizza
- Cocktails: There’s nothing like a fresh grilled pizza served with cold cocktails. Try my Frozen Pineapple Margaritas for a refreshing summer drink. 🍻
- Veggies: Serve your pizza with a side of vegetables like my easy Roasted Sugar Snap Peas!
- Cheesy Breadsticks: My super simple Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks are the perfect appetizer or side dish to pair with this pizza.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store your leftovers, simply wrap the pizza slices in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil over the plastic wrap, and store in the fridge. Your pizza will last for up to 4 days.
- You can reheat your pizza on the grill or in the oven. Warm up your pizza on medium-high heat until the cheese is bubbling.
Grilled Pizza Capricciosa
This Grilled Pizza Capricciosa is a fun homemade pizza recipe that uses all your favorite ingredients. You'll love everything about this easy Italian dinner idea!
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 thin slices deli ham, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
- dried oregano, optional, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to HIGH.
- On a lightly floured cutting board OR a cookie sheet, shape the pizza dough by flattening it with your hands.
- When the grill is HOT, brush the grates with olive oil.
- Slide the pizza dough off the cookie sheet (or off the cutting board) and onto the hot grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Open the grill and see if the bottom of the pizza dough is lightly browned; if not, give it another minute to cook.
- Remove pizza dough from the grill and transfer it back to the cookie sheet; flip it over so that the grilled side is now facing you. Keep your grill covered to retain heat.
- Brush pizza dough with olive oil. Spread pizza sauce over the dough.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese over the sauce. Arrange prepared ham, mushrooms, olives and artichokes on top of the cheese.
- Slide the pizza back onto the grill.
- Turn heat down to medium-high, and close the lid.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from the grill and onto a cutting board. Garnish with a sprinkle of dried oregano, if desired.
- Let rest for 2 minutes before cutting.
- These ingredient measurements are just suggestions – use more or less according to taste and size of pizza dough.
- The cook time will vary depending on your grill.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1084mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 909IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 1mg
VikkiJun 30, 2020 at 6:48 am
Made this for dinner tonight instead of take-out as we usually do, never going back again! Simple delicious pizza
BetiJun 30, 2020 at 8:11 pm
That’s wonderful! I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
JenJun 30, 2020 at 12:00 pm
We’ve been grilling out a ton so far this year and this looks like a fun dinner to add to the rotation. I love the idea of adding artichoke hearts to the pizza!! So delicious!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 30, 2020 at 8:11 pm
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
ToniJun 30, 2020 at 5:03 pm
This is such an amazing meal my family will love!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 30, 2020 at 8:10 pm
I hope you and your family enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Sara WelchJun 30, 2020 at 9:49 pm
This is everything a gourmet pizza should be and then some! Looking forward to enjoying this for dinner tonight, indeed!
Katerina PetrovskaJul 1, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Jacque HastertJul 1, 2020 at 1:32 am
I just recently tried grilled pizza and it was a hit with my family! I can’t wait to give this grilled pizza a try.
Katerina PetrovskaJul 1, 2020 at 7:22 pm
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
CathyJul 2, 2020 at 8:04 pm
I could eat this daily! Such amazing flavors!
Katerina PetrovskaJul 5, 2020 at 9:04 am
I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
TomAug 11, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Katerina PetrovskaAug 12, 2020 at 4:39 pm
Thank you so much! 🙂