Fresh, crunchy, garlicky, and delicious, this yummy twist on bruschetta is going to be a summer hit! You’re going to love this easy BLT Bruschetta bread recipe!
Easy BLT Appetizer Idea
Bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It’s a mouthwatering combination! And, when you combine those flavors with classic tomato bruschetta, you’ve hit a culinary home run! This delicious twist on bruschetta is definitely going to be a favorite.
In my version, we start with an old-style garlic bread base. Thick Italian bread is brushed with real olive oil, and then baked until crispy. Then, I cut a raw garlic clove in half and run the cut side over the toast. This makes a super fresh and flavorful base for the bruschetta.
Do yourself a favor and try this tasty appetizer ASAP! You’ll be glad you did!
What You’ll Need
To make this simple dish the best it can be, make sure to use good-quality bread, olive oil and fresh tomatoes.
For the Bread
- Bread: This recipe uses 8 slices of Italian bread, ½ inch thick.
- Olive Oil: You’ll need ¼ cup of good olive oil for brushing on the bread.
- Garlic: Have ready 1 clove of fresh garlic, cut in half.
For the Topping
- Lettuce: You’ll need finely chopped lettuce, or you can use thinly shredded lettuce.
- Tomatoes: Chop up two cups of fresh cherry tomatoes.
- Bacon: Cook 8 slices of bacon until crispy.
- Pesto: Have on hand ⅓ cup of prepared basil pesto.
- Balsamic Dressing: You’ll need ¼ cup of your favorite balsamic vinaigrette to dress the tomatoes.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: This recipe uses Parmesan for richness and depth of flavor.
How To Make BLT Bruschetta Bread
This is such an easy appetizer to make! All you have to do is toast some good bread in your oven, then top it with fresh garlic, a dab of pesto, and the BLT-Bruschetta topping mixture.
- Prep Oven, Baking Sheet & Bread: Preheat your oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Then, using a pastry brush, brush each slice of bread with olive oil and place the slices on your prepared baking sheet, oiled-side down.
- Toast Bread: Toast the slices of bread in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. The bread will be very crisp.
- Add Garlic & Pesto: Remove the bread from the oven and rub each slice thoroughly with the cut side of the garlic cloves. Spread basil pesto over each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Add Bruschetta Toppings: In a mixing bowl, toss the lettuce with tomatoes, bacon and dressing. Spoon the salad over toast slices. Finish with Parmesan.
Tips for Success
Here are my top tips for pulling together a delicious batch of fresh bruschetta bread. Abbondanza!
- Fresh Garlic: Choose firm heads of garlic with no green shoots for the best flavor. The papery skins should be fairly tight and uniform. Garlic that is splitting apart with green growth will not have a fresh flavor.
- Seed the Tomatoes: To reduce the watery juices in the topping, scoop out the tomato seeds and liquid as you cut them up.
- Substitution: If you need to substitute bread, a good loaf of Cuban bread will work, and so will a baguette.
Bruschetta works perfectly as a simple, stand-alone appetizer. But you can also make this yummy BLT bruschetta part of a larger meal. Here are some ideas!
- Soup: Try serving this recipe with a satisfying bowl of Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup. The flavors were meant to be!
- Eggs: Make a light lunch or brunch out of this quick BLT bruschetta bread and a few Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs. Add coffee and fresh fruit, and you’ve got a light and healthy feast!
- Pasta Salad: This Creamy Shrimp Pasta Salad is fresh and indulgent. The garlicky tang of bruschetta will complement it perfectly!
How to Store
- I don’t recommend storing the toasts, but you can save the topping, or make it ahead; store it in an airtight container, and keep it refrigerated for 2 days. The texture may change somewhat, but the flavors will meld beautifully!
For the Bread
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half, longwise
For the Topping
- 2 cups shredded lettuce, you can also use finely chopped lettuce
- 2 to 3 cups fresh cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- shaved parmesan cheese or grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each slice of bread with olive oil; transfer slices to prepared baking sheet, oiled-side down.
- Toast bread in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted.
- Remove from oven; flip over the bread slices, and rub the cut side of the garlic cloves over each slice of toasted bread. Spread basil pesto over each slice of bread. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, toss lettuce with tomatoes, bacon and balsamic dressing; spoon over toast slices.
- Season tops with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Top with shaved parmesan.
More Easy Appetizers
Every great meal starts with a tasty appetizer. Here are some more of my favorite ones!