Need an easy and healthy side dish? Look no further than these Garlic Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes! They’re a sweet and savory sheet pan dish of cubed sweet potatoes that are perfectly seasoned, and glazed with butter, honey, and garlic!
Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are such a healthy and under-used ingredient! I try to make them regularly, even if I only bake them with a little butter.
But, this tasty recipe uses peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a sauce that will blow your mind: butter, honey and fresh garlic. It’s so utterly simple, but so very delicious!
Why I Love This Recipe
I’m a big fan of sheet pan recipes in general, but this one might be my favorite. The process is so easy, especially if you can find pre-cut and peeled sweet potatoes. Plus, the honey garlic sauce is so crave-worthy. I get hungry just thinking about it!
Just whole, healthy ingredients here! That’s one thing I find amazing about sweet potatoes; they really only need minimal prep and flavoring to be utterly delicious!
- Sweet Potatoes: This recipe is for four medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Butter: You’ll need five tablespoons of butter for the sauce. Salted or unsalted is fine.
- Fresh Garlic: Mince or press about four cloves of garlic.
- Honey: You’ll need about three tablespoons of honey; if you’d like to substitute brown sugar or maple syrup, go for it!
- Dried Rosemary: Totally optional, but I like the extra flavor that it adds to this side dish.
- Salt and Pepper: A bit of each, to taste.
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Making these is so, so easy. I often buy pre-cut and peeled sweet potato cubes, which cuts down significantly on prep time!
- Set Things Up: First, preheat your oven to 375˚F. Then, spread the cubed sweet potatoes across a large rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Make Sauce & Drizzle Over Potatoes: Melt the butter and whisk in the garlic and honey. Drizzle the butter mixture over the potatoes.
- Season & Rearrange Sweet Potatoes: Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Then, arrange the sweet potatoes in one single layer.
- Roast: Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven, adjusting salt and pepper as needed.
Tips for the Most Tender Sweet Potatoes
Following this easy recipe will always result in perfect sweet potatoes, especially if you remember these 3 simple tips.
- Store Correctly: Don’t be tempted to refrigerate raw sweet potatoes. They keep for a long time in a cool, dark place, and more importantly, they stay soft and tender.
- Microwave: Having trouble cutting up your raw sweet potatoes? Try microwaving them for just a minute to soften them a bit.
- Cook a Little Longer: Sweet potatoes vary, so the given cook time is an estimate. Feel free to roast your sweet potatoes longer if necessary, until they are fork-tender.
Part of the beauty of this side dish is how well it goes with other recipes. These are some of my favorite dishes to serve with roasted sweet potatoes.
- Baked Ham: I just love the combination of roasted sweet potatoes and ham! Try my Christmas Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze for a wonderful holiday meal.
- Squash Casserole: Another holiday favorite, this Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole is a colorful and savory complement to roasted veggies!
- Puff Pastry Breadsticks: A crispy contrast to our fork-tender sweet potatoes, this simple Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks recipe is sure to be a favorite.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Follow these instructions for storing your leftovers if you have any. This way, your potatoes will keep and reheat wonderfully.
- To Refrigerate: Place leftovers in airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- To Freeze: Place in freezer bags and press out as much air as possible before sealing. Store in the freezer for up to six months.
- To Reheat: Thaw in the refrigerator (if frozen). Then, place on a sheet pan and bake at 375˚F until heated through.
GARLIC HONEY ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Transfer cubed sweet potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- Melt the butter; then, whisk in garlic and honey.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the potatoes; season with rosemary, salt, and pepper and toss to evenly coat.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes in one single layer.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Taste for salt and pepper; adjust accordingly.