Chocolate Mug Cake is perfect for when you want dessert but don’t want to make an entire cake or deal with leftovers! This mug cake cooks right in your microwave and is moist, fluffy, and indulgent.
The Best Chocolate Mug Cake Ever
What do you do if you’re craving a big ole slice of chocolate cake, but you don’t have the time or energy to actually bake a cake? Two words – Mug. Cake. I’m serious. You can have a heaping slice of decadent chocolate cake just for one. You’ll be putting the fork to your mouth in – wait for it – LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!
And, since it’s in your mug, I’m going to make a bold statement here: no need to share! 🙌 This is the perfect treat to make yourself after the kids go to bed. You can curl up on your coach and savor every bite while you binge watch some Netflix.
What is a Mug Cake?
Ummmm it’s just the most perfect, personal sized, hand-held sweet treat there is! And, it’s exactly what it sounds like – a cake baked right in a mug. It’s great for a quick treat because it’s one serving and bakes in just about a minute. But, even better, you don’t need to bust out all of the tools and equipment. All you need is a mug and a fork.
This delicious and decadent chocolate mug cake uses simple pantry ingredients that even a casual baker will likely have at the ready. There are also a few easy swaps you can make for an easy Keto approved dessert.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour or use ¼ cup almond flour for low carb version
- sugar or use monk fruit sweetener for low carb
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips or Keto-Low Carb approved chocolate chips
- pure vanilla extract
- baking powder
- Whipped cream
How to Make Chocolate Mug Cake
- Melt: Place butter in a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug and melt it in the microwave. This should take about 30 seconds.
- Add: To the melted butter add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, beaten egg, chocolate chips, vanilla, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir: Stir everything together with a fork until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Microwave: Cook for 50 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave. The top of the cake should be set.
- Top and serve: Top your mug cake with whipped cream and more chocolate chips, then enjoy.
Tips for Perfect Microwave Mug Cake
If you’re skeptical about making a cake in your coffee mug in the microwave, I don’t blame you. It’s true, it can turn out, let’s just say – not so great. But, if you follow these simple tips, you’ll end up with the perfect mug sake every time.
- Be sure not to over mix your batter. If you do, your cake will be more tough and less fluffy.
- Make sure you use the proper size mug. The batter will rise, so unless you want an actual volcano of chocolate lava in your microwave, use a 12-ounce microwave safe mug.
- Don’t walk away from the microwave while it’s cooking. You want to keep a close eye on your cake and stop the microwave if it looks like the center is set.
Can This Mug Cake Be Made Keto?
Yes! I’ve included two swaps right in this recipe that will make this chocolate mug cake Keto approved. Simply swap your sugar for monk fruit sweetener and the all-purpose flour for almond flour. Monk fruit sweetener is like a magical sweetener because it has zero calories and it’s low carb. Almond flour is gluten free and low carb, too!
As I mentioned above, I love to serve my chocolate mug cake topped with whipped cream and extra chocolate chips. But, one of my all time favorite flavor combos is chocolate and raspberries. If I have fresh raspberries, I use ’em on this cake.
But better yet, raspberry sauce! Really, any fresh berries would be killer on top of this, like strawberries or blueberries.
I’m a big fan of chopping up some banana to put on top of the cake, then drizzling it with caramel sauce. If I am sharing with my kids, they like rainbow sprinkles on their whipped cream topped with a maraschino cherry.
You could also just simply top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Make that a little more special by sprinkling on some cinnamon.
To help you unwind, you’re definitely going to want to pair this with your favorite wine or fancy coffee drink.
Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or use ¼ cup almond flour for low carb version
- 2 tablespoons sugar, use monk fruit sweetener for low carb
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, plus more for garnish, optional
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- whipped cream, for topping
- Place butter in a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug and melt in microwave, about 30 seconds.
- To the melted butter add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, beaten egg, chocolate chips, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; stir with a fork until thoroughly combined.
- Cook for 50 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave, or until top of cake is set.
- Top with whipped cream and more chocolate chips; serve.
BethJun 2, 2020 at 7:02 pm
I made this for my kids the other day and they loved it! I can’t wait to make this again!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:53 pm
That’s great! I am very glad you enjoyed it! 🙂 Thank YOU!
Sara WelchJun 2, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Can’t wait to curl up with this after dinner tonight! Looks too good to pass up!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:51 pm
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
VikkiJun 3, 2020 at 4:33 am
What a cute and delicious cake! Made individual ones for my family and everyone agreed it was a hit
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:50 pm
That’s great! I am very glad you and your family enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
ToniJun 3, 2020 at 3:25 pm
I love this single serving mug cake! So easy and fast to make.
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:49 pm
Thank you, Toni! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
KimberlyJun 3, 2020 at 4:30 pm
These look fabulous, making them with my kids today!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:49 pm
I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
SuzyJun 3, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Mug cakes are my jam! I love how simple they are and how tasty they are too!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 3, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Thank YOU! 🙂 I hope you enjoy it!