Filled with yummy chocolate chips and mini marshmallows, these delightful Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies are like a comfy cup of hot cocoa transformed into a warm, soft cookie!
Santa’s Favorite Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Do you leave cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve? It’s such a cute tradition to do with kids, and such a delicious treat for tired parents the night before the big day! From experience, I can recommend this particular cookie.
I mean, if you’re making Santa a treat anyway, it might as well be one with meltingly delicious chocolate flavor, chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows, amiright? Plus, this recipe is perfect for making with the little ones. There are just enough steps to make it fun, but it’s also really easy!
Why I Love These Christmas Cookies
So. Let’s talk chocolate.
If you’re like me, pretty much all chocolate is good chocolate! From the little generic Easter eggs to indulgent, luxury truffles, to bars of organic high-percent cacao, it’s all delicious to me! One thing I always look forward to when the weather turns frosty is hot chocolate!
It really has a vibe all its own, doesn’t it? And this recipe uses your favorite hot cocoa mix to get that special flavor! With its unique, creamy sweetness, hot cocoa mix elevates this recipe from just a sugar cookie, or even a chocolate cookie, to a special holiday treat.
- Butter: Yep, the good stuff! You’ll need two sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- Sugar: Using packed light brown sugar along with the regular sugar gives these cookies a boost of light, caramel-ish flavor, similar to the dough used for chocolate chip cookies.
- Eggs: You’ll need two large eggs. Room temperature is best, but cold will work. Still, when baking, you always want to have your ingredients at room temperature.
- Vanilla: I use pure vanilla extract, but vanilla flavoring will also work.
- Flour: All purpose flour is best for these cookies. A gluten-free AP blend can be substituted, but the texture will be affected.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: To get the perfect cookie texture!
- Hot Cocoa Mix: You’ll need 3/4 of a cup of your favorite hot cocoa mix. Yum!
- Salt: Just a pinch!
- Chocolate Chips: I recommend using semi-sweet, because the cookies themselves are quite sweet already.
- Mini Marshmallows: So delicious, and they really amp up the holiday feeling!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Cream Butter & Sugar: In your mixer’s bowl, beat together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, hot cocoa mix, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter and eggs mixture, and mix until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Chill Dough: Cover the dough and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Shape Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Take a 2-tablespoon portion of the chilled dough and roll it into a ball. Place on the baking sheet, and press down slightly to form a cookie. Top the unbaked cookie with a few mini marshmallows and extra chocolate chips. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Bake: Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for the Best Cookies
- Don’t Go Sugar-Free: While I usually recommend Sugar substitutes, using sugar-free cocoa mix for this recipe does not yield a result as tasty as regular mix, so I don’t recommend it.
- Center the Marshmallows: Keep in mind that the marshmallows will melt as these cookies bake, so avoid placing marshmallows on the edges of the cookies. You want to keep all that yumminess on the cookies, not the baking sheet!
- Get Creative! You can try using white chocolate chips, adding a touch of cinnamon to the dough, drizzling caramel over the finished cookies, and using them to make ice cream sandwiches or whoopie pies! There’s really no wrong way to enjoy these amazing little treats!
How to Make the Dough In Advance
- This dough is very easy to make ahead of time! Just follow the recipe to the point of chilling the dough, then wrap it well and chill it for three to five days before shaping and baking it.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Sugar Cookies?
- Yes! You can freeze the dough itself for up to one month, or bake, cool, and freeze the cookies for 1 month.
Hot Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips, plus extra for topping
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In your mixer's bowl, beat together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light, smooth, and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, hot cocoa mix, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and continue to mix until just combined.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the chocolate chips; then, cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Pinch off 2 tablespoons of the chilled dough and roll into a small ball. Place on the baking sheet and press down slightly. Top with a few mini marshmallows and extra chocolate chips.
- Repeat the process until all the dough is used.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes; remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
AmandaDec 15, 2020 at 11:23 pm
These were absolutely decadent, I will be making them again very soon!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 4:02 pm
That’s great! I am very glad you enjoyed them! Thank YOU! 🙂
Sara WelchDec 16, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Love this twist to a classic holiday drink! Adding these to my baking line up for this holiday season; looks too good to pass up!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
I hope you enjoy them! Thank YOU! 🙂
BethDec 16, 2020 at 8:41 pm
Oh my goodness! My daughter and husband are going to love this recipe! I can’t wait to make these! They look so yummy!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Thank YOU! I hope everyone enjoys them! 🙂
CatalinaDec 16, 2020 at 10:26 pm
These cookies look amazing! I would like to make them this weekend!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Toni DashDec 17, 2020 at 2:26 pm
This is really amazing! Perfect holiday treats!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 3:57 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy them! 🙂
SandraDec 18, 2020 at 3:01 am
These are so good! A sure hit with my kids!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 21, 2020 at 3:56 pm
I am very glad you enjoyed them! Thank YOU! 🙂
elleDec 14, 2021 at 10:55 am
Delicious, came out perfect!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 14, 2021 at 1:03 pm
I’m very happy you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂