This moist and sweet Zucchini Banana Bread is drizzled with a creamy vanilla icing for a delicious and wholesome snack or dessert! You won’t find a more flavorful zucchini bread recipe.
An Easy Zucchini Dessert Everyone Loves
Zucchini is always a wonderful baked good ingredient, whether you’re making brownies, bread or cake. If you’ve baked with zucchini before, you know it helps your treats stay super moist and fresh. This banana bread has the softest texture and the tastiest icing to go with it!
I love making this dessert bread because it’s a healthier option that my whole family goes crazy for. If you have picky eaters at home, this bread is the perfect way to sneak in their daily helping of vegetables. It’s easy to make, and it’s delicious with or without the icing!
The Magic of the Zucchini Squeeze
There’s one crucial step in this recipe that determines the success of your zucchini bread – removing the moisture from your zucchini. It’s important to squeeze out as much water as you can from the shredded zucchini before you bake with it.
If you don’t remove all the water from the zucchini, your loaf could end up sinking in the middle due to excess moisture.
- Bananas: Use overripe bananas for the best results.
- Unsalted Butter: Melt the butter before making your bread.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Salt: A pinch of salt is all you’ll need for this recipe.
For the Icing
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Iced Zucchini Banana Bread
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat your oven to 350˚F and line a 9×13 loaf pan with parchment paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Shred Zucchini: Shred the zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater.
- Remove Moisture from Zucchini: Transfer the shredded zucchini to a kitchen towel; close the towel around the zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Mash Bananas: Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Stir in the melted butter, sugar and vanilla. Then, add the egg and stir until incorporated.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Add in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently stir until incorporated.
- Add Zucchini: Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Bake: Pour your batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let Cool: Remove your bread from the oven and set the loaf pan over a wire rack; cool for 1 hour.
- Transfer to Wire Rack: Remove your loaf from the pan and let it stand alone on the wire rack until it’s completely cooled.
- Make Icing: In the meantime, prepare your icing by combining the milk, vanilla and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl or a large glass measuring cup. Whisk the ingredients until they’re completely blended. If you want a thicker icing, add more sugar. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little more milk.
- Pour Icing Over Cooled Loaf: Drizzle your icing over the cooled loaf and let stand until the icing is set. Once it’s set, cut your loaf into slices and enjoy!
There are plenty of things you can incorporate in your bread to change it up! Here are some of my favorite add-ins:
- Nuts: Finely chopped walnuts or pecans make a wonderfully crunchy addition to this bread. I recommend adding about half a cup.
- Raisins: Throw in some raisins or dried cranberries for even more flavor!
- Chocolate Chips: I love adding half a cup of chocolate chips into my zucchini banana bread, especially if I’m not in the mood for the vanilla icing.
How to Store Zucchini Banana Bread
- This bread can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days. Keep it in an airtight container lined with paper towels.
- You can also store it in a sealed plastic bag, but I recommend using an airtight container if you frosted your loaf.
Can I Freeze Zucchini Banana Bread?
- Yes, this bread is safe to freeze for long-term storage! Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and make sure to thaw it overnight in the fridge before serving. You can freeze a whole loaf or individual slices for up to 2 months.
Iced Zucchini Banana Bread
- 1 large zucchini shredded
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the Icing
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a 9×13 loaf pan with parchment paper; lightly spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Shred zucchini using the large holes on a cheese grater.
- Transfer shredded zucchini to a kitchen towel; close the towel around the zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- To the bananas, stir in melted butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg and stir until incorporated.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently stir until incorporated.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set the loaf pan over a wire rack; cool for 1 hour.
- Remove bread from the loaf pan and let stand on wire rack until completely cooled.
- In the meantime, prepare the icing by combining the milk, vanilla and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl or a large glass measuring cup. Whisk the ingredients until completely blended. If you want a thicker icing, add more sugar. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little more milk.
- Drizzle icing over cooled loaf and let stand until icing is set.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
Looking for More Zucchini Recipes?
Try these easy zucchini recipes if you’re looking for even more ways to use this versatile veggie!
ToniAug 29, 2020 at 9:32 pm
This quickly became a favorite at my house!! A new staple at my house!
Katerina PetrovskaAug 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
That’s wonderful to hear! I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
BethAug 31, 2020 at 2:00 pm
This is so delicious! My husband and daughter loved it! I will definitely be making this again!
Katerina PetrovskaAug 31, 2020 at 2:47 pm
That’s wonderful! I am very glad you enjoyed it!! THANK YOU! 🙂
KevinAug 31, 2020 at 2:54 pm
This is a great option for breakfast this week! Going to make it asap!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 1, 2020 at 6:05 pm
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
CatalinaAug 31, 2020 at 7:17 pm
The best way to eat zucchini! A must try recipe for sure!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 1, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Thank you so much, Catalina! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
CathySep 1, 2020 at 9:43 pm
I love icing on my quick bread… it just gives it that extra something special!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 2, 2020 at 7:14 pm
I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
SandraSep 2, 2020 at 7:09 pm
I really love the combination of flavors! So good!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 2, 2020 at 7:12 pm
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Kathy P.Jul 1, 2022 at 7:49 pm
You don’t really mean a 9×13 loaf pan, do you?