Rich and fudgy, moist and chocolatey, this easy Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a sweet snack that’s chock-full of healthy veggies and delicious chocolate. Win-win!
Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Snack time is an often-overlooked opportunity to try new recipes, don’t you think? I mean, it’s great to grab an apple or some cheese and crackers, but what about making something special? This easy quick bread is a great option!
For starters, it’s chocolate! I mean, honestly I could stop right there. Who doesn’t love a slice of chocolate bar, cake, or bread?
But, the cool thing about this recipe is that it’s also a great way to serve more veggies, and use up some of the zucchini so many of us are overwhelmed with by the end of the season.
Kids and adults alike adore this sweet, moist loaf cake, even picky eaters who otherwise wouldn’t touch a green vegetable.
What You’ll Need
This easy recipe uses pantry staples like flour, sugar, spices, and eggs. A lot of the ingredients can be substituted, too, so feel free to customize.
- Flour: You’ll need a cup of all-purpose flour. You can definitely use your favorite gluten-free AP blend, but note that the texture may turn out a little different.
- Cocoa Powder: Get a deep chocolate flavor and color with half a cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Half a teaspoon of each allows our sweet chocolate loaf to rise in the oven.
- Salt: Don’t forget the salt! The bread will still rise without it, but it will taste very bland… ask me how I know. 😊
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg: You can omit this if you want a plain chocolate flavor, but I like to add a teaspoon ground cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg for a Mexican-hot-chocolate kind of vibe.
- Sugar: Sweeten the bread with half a cup of sugar, or you can use maple syrup or a sugar substitute like Swerve. I almost always use Swerve and it turns out great!
- Coconut Oil: ¼ cup melted coconut oil makes this cake meltingly moist. Use melted butter, if you prefer.
- Eggs: I used two large whole eggs.
- Yogurt: ¼ cup plain nonfat yogurt helps give this quick bread a nice crumb.
- Vanilla: Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Zucchini: To prep the zucchini, grate it and then pat it dry with paper towels.
- Chocolate Chips: My favorite! I like to use about ⅔ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, for double-chocolate bread. White chocolate chips would also be wonderful!
- Sea Salt: For sprinkling, optional, BUT highly recommended. 😋
Why use zucchini?
You might be wondering why this bread includes a veggie at all! Well, the zucchini in this recipe is similar to the carrots in carrot cake, or the bananas in banana bread. Zucchini is a veggie that cooks to a soft consistency and mild taste.
The softness gives your bread a nice texture, and the mild taste works well as a backdrop for sweet, hearty chocolate.
Also!?! Have you tried my 👉 Iced Zucchini BANANA Bread?! Oh Lawdy! It’s SO GOOD!
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Making this quick bread couldn’t be easier! It’s as simple as mix, and bake. I love having my kids help out with recipes like this, and they love it too!
- Prep the Oven and Loaf Pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray or butter, and sprinkle it with flour. Shake out the excess flour, and set the pan aside while you make the batter..
- Mix the Dry Ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg; whisk or stir to combine.
- Mix the Remaining Ingredients. In a different bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Combine All the Ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Using a spatula, fold in the grated zucchini, and then the chocolate chips.
- Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake the chocolate zucchini bread for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When the bread is done, remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack. Then remove the bread from the pan and sprinkle with sea salt, if using.
Tips for Success
Before you try this recipe, check out my best tips for making a great loaf! These easy pointers will guarantee a delicious result.
- No Need to Peel: Unlike winter squash, summer squashes like zucchini and crookneck have delicate, soft rinds that don’t need to be peeled. Just wash and go.
- Don’t Overmix: To keep your chocolate bread from becoming tough, make sure to mix at each step just until blended. You don’t want to “knead” this batter, or the gluten will activate and result in a tough, chewy loaf.
- Cool Before Slicing: It’s important to let the bread cool before you try to cut it, or the slices won’t be neat, and the loaf will fall apart.
How to Store Leftovers
- To keep your chocolate zucchini bread moist and fresh, wrap it well in two layers of plastic wrap.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
- Definitely! Zucchini bread freezes well for future use. Just wrap it tightly in two layers of plastic wrap, and one layer of aluminum foil.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup sugar, you can also use a sugar replacement like Swerve
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini, pat dry the zucchini with paper towels
- ⅔ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Sea salt, for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle it with flour; shake off the excess and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg; whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; whisk until combined.
- With a spatula fold in the grated zucchini.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into previously prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack; let completely cool.
- Remove from pan; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cut and serve.
KrystleSep 17, 2021 at 9:58 pm
So rich and chocolately! My family couldn’t taste the hidden veggies at all Shh! 🙂
Katerina PetrovskaSep 18, 2021 at 12:55 pm
That’s wonderful! I’m very glad everyone enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
ToniSep 19, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Such a really amazing zucchini bread recipe! It is so good and easy to make!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 20, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
JulianeSep 20, 2021 at 8:53 am
Heaven sent! This is so good!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 20, 2021 at 1:33 pm
I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
CatalinaSep 20, 2021 at 11:26 am
Oh my goodness! This is the best zucchini bread! The addition of chocolate makes it amazing!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 20, 2021 at 1:32 pm
I’m very happy you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
BethSep 20, 2021 at 4:40 pm
I made this loaf on Saturday with some fresh zucchini my neighbor gave me. The intent was to take half the loaf down to my neighbor but that never happened! LOL!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 22, 2021 at 1:34 pm
LOL! 😀 I am SO happy you loved it! Thank YOU! 🙂