This epic recipe for Homemade Brownies will seriously blow your mind! Richly dark and fudgy, they’re made with three kinds of chocolate and a hint of espresso. They have everything you’d want in an indulgent chocolate dessert and more!
The Easiest Fudgy Homemade Brownies
Brownies are such a beloved treat, aren’t they? Like chocolate chip cookies, they’re somehow classic, yet flexible, and everyone has their quirks about how a good brownie should taste.
I know people who insist on having nuts in their brownies, and others who absolutely detest the “surprise” of crunchy walnuts in their smooth, chocolatey bite.
Then there’s the texture: are cake-like brownies your thing, or do you prefer a dense, moist crumb?
I kind of like all of the options. In fact, I’ve never met a brownie I didn’t like! But I tend to think that erring on the side of “fudgy” is a better bet. I also think that adding in plenty of extra chocolate, in the form of both chunks and chips, just puts the whole bake over the top.
And, that’s what this is! A classic recipe for a nice fudgy brownie, with some added oomph from dark chocolate chunks and milk chocolate chips.
What else should a perfect brownie be? One word: easy. Really, every recipe would be easy in an ideal world… but I digress. Brownies aren’t “fancy,” they’re the kind of treat you make for an after-school snack! So this recipe is very easy, kid-friendly, and simply delicious.
If you’ve never made brownies with instant coffee before, get ready for a treat! The strong and bitter flavor cuts the richness of the brownies, adding contrast and a certain freshness to the overall taste. I think it’s perfect with a glass of cold milk. 🥛
- Butter: Okay, so this is maybe my secret ingredient: I melt a whole cup of butter to make these brownies straight.up.luscious.
- Sugar: You’ll need 1 ½ cups of your favorite granulated sugar, plus half a cup of packed, dark brown sugar.
- Eggs: For this recipe, I use four large eggs.
- Vanilla: Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Cocoa Powder: Some brownie recipes use only a little cocoa powder, but for this recipe, you’ll need a whole cup.
- Flour: I typically bake with ordinary all-purpose flour. Gluten-free AP flour will also work here!
- Salt: Just a teaspoon.
- Instant Coffee: You’ll need just a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee powder or granules. Make sure not to use ground coffee or espresso, since that won’t dissolve into the batter.
- Chocolate: We have two kinds going on in this recipe! First, you’ll fold a cup of chopped dark chocolate into the batter. Then, you’ll sprinkle the top of the unbaked brownies with milk chocolate chips! So indulgent.
- Sea Salt: A sprinkle of sea salt over the finished brownies is a nice optional garnish.
How to Make Brownies From Scratch
Like most brownie recipes, this one is very simple to make. The butter is melted, so there’s no need to get out your electric beater and cream any ingredients. All you really need is a bowl and spoon, although a whisk and spatula are also helpful.
- Prep Oven & Pan: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Then, spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with oil or butter. Line the baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough excess to hang over each side.
- Combine Liquid/Dissolving Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, whisking until smooth.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Sift in the cocoa powder, flour and salt, and add the instant coffee as well. Stir until just combined.
- Add Chocolate: Fold the dark chocolate into the batter, and then pour the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing out the surface with a spatula. Then, sprinkle the half-cup of milk chocolate chips evenly over the top.
- Bake & Cool: Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes, or until just done. If you put a toothpick into the center, it should come out with moist crumbs. Although the brownies may appear underbaked, don’t fret! They’ll firm up as they cool. Once they have cooled completely, sprinkle with sea salt (if you’re using it) and cut them into squares.
Tips for the Best Homemade Brownies
Like I said, everyone has their own opinion on what constitutes a perfect brownie. This recipe can be adjusted to fit yours!
- Add-Ins: These are so amazingly customizable. You can do all kinds of things using this recipe as the base. Sprinkle walnuts on top, swirl peanut butter or marshmallow fluff through, add M&Ms or mini peanut butter cups to the batter, you name it!
- Substitutions: As I mentioned before, I use quite a lot of butter in my brownies to make them exceptionally moist and flavorful. But you can also substitute your preferred oil, such as melted coconut oil. Finally, feel free to substitute applesauce for up to half of the oil. You won’t taste it, and the texture will still be great!
- Lift and Cut: You can cut these very easily, and reduce wear and tear on your pan, by lifting them out first with the parchment paper. Then cut with a sharp knife, or even a pizza cutter!
Whether you’re enjoying your brownies as a post-dinner dessert or a midday snack, these pairings are highly recommended!
- Coffee: Mocha Iced Coffee, anyone? Of course, you could also serve a nice cup of ordinary hot coffee with these treats, but a great glass of iced coffee is extra-refreshing.
- Pizza: When in doubt, serve pizza! That’s my motto, anyway. This easy recipe for Grilled Pizza Capricciosa is a delicious accompaniment to just about everything.
- Fettuccine Alfredo: Want to make a super simple dinner that everyone will love? How about a wonderful batch of homemade Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, followed up with these scrumptious brownies? Perfection!
How to Store Extras
- To store brownies, you can cover them tightly and leave them on the counter at room temperature for 1 to 2 days.
- They will also keep refrigerated in airtight containers for up to four days.
Can You Freeze Homemade Brownies?
- Yes, you can definitely freeze brownies! Wrap the brownies individually in plastic wrap, and then seal them in freezer bags.
- Freeze brownies for up to 3 months.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature (take eggs out of fridge 20 minutes before starting with the recipe)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough excess to hang over each side.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, whisking until smooth.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Add the instant coffee. Stir until just combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Using a spatula, smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (The brownies may appear under-baked, but they will set as they cool down).
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with sea salt (if desired) and cut into 16 squares.
More Dessert Recipes
One can never have too many dessert recipes. These are more than worth adding to your menu!
AmandaJan 27, 2021 at 12:43 am
These look so decadent and soft, I will be making them this weekend!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy them! 🙂
Allyson ZeaJan 27, 2021 at 4:27 pm
Oh my goodness, these look like the best fudgy brownies ever!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:30 pm
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy them! 🙂
CathyJan 27, 2021 at 4:50 pm
These are SO perfectly fudgy! My favorite kind!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:30 pm
I hope you enjoy them! 🙂 Thank YOU!
BethJan 27, 2021 at 11:49 pm
Oh my goodness this looks so delicious and yummy! My family and I are going to love these! Can’t wait!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:29 pm
Thank you so much! I hope you and your family enjoy it! 🙂
ToniJan 28, 2021 at 5:57 am
My kids couldn’t stop eating these!! They are so good!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:27 pm
That’s great! I’m very glad you enjoyed it! 🙂 Thank YOU!
CatalinaJan 28, 2021 at 4:15 pm
These fudgy brownies are so irresistible! It’s a must try treat!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 2, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy them! 🙂
Norma LovelaceFeb 9, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Do you have the nutritional info for these brownies?
KaterinaFeb 10, 2021 at 4:34 pm
Thanks for bringing that to my attention! The Nutritional Analysis is there now, located at the bottom of the recipe card. 😊