Want a satisfying meal that comes together in minutes? Look no further than this Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, made with hearty beef, tender egg noodles, and a savory sour cream sauce the whole family will love!
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff is something I make regularly, because my whole tribe loves the rich, made-from-scratch sour cream sauce and the slowly simmered, tender beef chunks over egg noodles.
But, making it all the traditional way can definitely take up time we don’t have, so this instant pot version is a time-saver! I love how easily it all comes together in one pot and in just about half an hour.
Something else I appreciate about this recipe is that it’s all real, simple ingredients. You don’t need any processed foods (unless you count Worcestershire sauce) or cream-of-soups. For those who have dietary restrictions, this is especially helpful! It makes substitutions and adjustments much easier.
- Flour: Used for coating the beef, all-purpose flour is my go-to. You could substitute cornstarch or your favorite gluten-free flour blend if you wish, although the thickness of the sauce may vary.
- Onion Powder and Mustard Powder: Two classic spices give a great depth of flavor to the dish.
- Olive Oil: You’ll need a few tablespoons of light olive oil, for sauteing.
- Crushed Garlic: I like to use fresh, crushed garlic in this dish for an extra-tasty sauce.
- Beef Stew Meat: This recipe uses two pounds of cubed beef stew meat.
- Mushrooms: You’ll need about ten ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms.
- Beef Broth: There’s some flexibility here with the broth; homemade broth works wonderfully, as does packaged beef broth. You can even substitute a hearty chicken or vegetable stock, if necessary.
- Wine: ¾ of a cup of good red wine brings so much flavor! I really recommend it, but if you must substitute, you can use more broth.
- Worcestershire Sauce: You’ll need two tablespoons.
- Salt & Pepper
- Egg Noodles: I use regular wide egg noodles here, about 10 ounces.
- Sour Cream: If possible, I try to use sour cream without stabilizers, gums, or other added ingredients.
- Cornstarch & Water: A couple tablespoons of each, to create a slurry.
What is the Best Beef for Instant Pot Stroganoff?
A lot of stroganoff recipes call for expensive cuts of steak in order to make a good stroganoff. And, while a good ribeye will be delicious almost any way you slice it (see what I did there?), you can also make a really succulent stroganoff using much cheaper beef: stewing beef.
This is a tougher beef that needs a long braise or simmer to tenderize — or a quick cook in the Instant Pot! The great thing about using beef stew chunks or cubes is that, once cooked, the connective tissue in the meat breaks down and tenderizes each bite.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Making beef stroganoff in your Instant Pot is very similar to making it on the stove. You’ll be sauteing the beef and veggies, then adding liquid and cooking the beef in the liquid until tender. It just happens a lot faster this way.
- Season Beef: In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion powder, and mustard powder. Coat the meat with this flour mixture.
- Sauté Beef: Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beef and brown it on all sides (about two minutes per side).
- Sauté Mushrooms: Remove the browned stew beef to a plate or dish. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the Instant Pot, followed by the mushrooms. Cook for two minutes.
- Add Liquids & Cook: Add beef back to the Instant Pot, along with the beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir the ingredients together, then place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set it to Meat/Stew and cook on HIGH for twelve minutes.
- Add Egg Noodles: When the twelve minutes are up, quick release the vent, and then add the egg noodles. Place the lid on again, and cook on HIGH (still using the Meat/Stew Setting) for five more minutes.
- Add Sour Cream & Cornstarch: Quick release the vent again, and stir in the sour cream. Allow it to heat up. Then, mix together the cornstarch and water, forming a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the Instant Pot and stir until thickened and ready to serve.
Tips for Success
If you’ve never made stroganoff like this before, check out these helpful tips for serving up the best Instant Pot stroganoff ever!
- Make Your Own Beef Stew Cubes: If you don’t see pre-cut stewing beef at your local grocery store or butcher, don’t worry! You can easily make your own by cutting a larger roast or steak into cubes. This is also a good way to take advantage of sales! What you need is any kind of good boneless braising beef, which you’ll then cut into bite-sized pieces. Some options that would work include chuck roast, chuck steak, round roast, rump roast, and other low-and-slow cuts.
- Try Yogurt: If you don’t want to use sour cream, full-fat yogurt is a great replacement.
- Garnish Away: I like to garnish this dish with a hefty sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley. You could also serve extra sour cream at the table so that everyone can top off their own bowl to their taste, and be sure to have a pepper grinder on hand for an extra boost of freshly ground black pepper. So delicious!
What Goes with Beef Stroganoff?
There are plenty of sides you can pair with beef stroganoff for a healthy, well-rounded dinner. I recommend these:
- Garlic Bread: I love serving this saucy dish with hearty garlic bread, and not just any garlic bread! This Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread is so, so simple to make using a bakery loaf. You’ll love it as an appetizer or a yummy side!
- Green Beans: This is one vegetable even the picky eaters I know actually enjoy. And, when they’re cooked in garlic butter, you can bet there won’t be any leftovers! Try my Sauteed Garlic Butter Green Beans — you won’t be disappointed!
- Cookies: A comforting and easy dessert that everyone loves, you really can’t go wrong with Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. 🍪
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Everyone loves leftovers, so it’s important to keep them fresh and tasty. If you have leftover stroganoff, here’s how to store it and enjoy it later.
- To Refrigerate: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- To Freeze: Place cooled leftovers in freezer bags or airtight containers, and store in the freezer for up to two months.
- To Reheat: Place the desired portion in a covered saucepan or skillet with a splash of water. Cook over low heat until heated through completely.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces egg noodles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion powder and mustard powder.
- Coat the beef with the flour mixture.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides; about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove beef and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beef back to Instant Pot, along with beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir together and place on lid. Set Instant Pot to Meat/Stew (or MANUAL) and cook on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- When done cooking, quick release the vent and then add the egg noodles. Lock the lid and cook on HIGH for 5 more minutes on MANUAL setting.
- Once done cooking, quick release again and stir in sour cream and allow to heat through.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl; add to the Instant Pot. Stir in carefully until thickened and ready to serve.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Want more easy dinners and snacks you can cook up in your Instant Pot? Try the following recipes!