This easy Mojo Grilled Chicken recipe is juicy, tender, and packed with fresh, festive flavor. Marinated in the perfect blend of orange juice, garlic, and fresh cilantro, then grilled and on your plate in just 20 minutes!
Quick & Easy Mojo Grilled Chicken
For us busy parents, it’s important to have a few yummy grilled chicken recipes in our back pocket. You know, for those nights when you defrosted the chicken, but didn’t actually think of what to do with it.
This marinated, char-grilled chicken recipe has been my dinnertime hero more than once!
What is Mojo Chicken?
Mojo chicken is often considered Cuban or Caribbean cuisine. It sometimes makes an appearance in southwestern recipes.
This easy recipe features chicken marinated in a citrus marinade with garlic and cilantro. The marinade makes the chicken tender and juicy. It’s then grilled to add some char to the sweetness. This technique can also be used on pork. It’s simple, festive, and delicious.
Mojo Chicken Ingredients
These recipe ingredients are straightforward, but really bring on the flavor!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- orange juice (no pulp)
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh chopped cilantro
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Additional Options for Serving
- black beans
- lime wedges
How to Make Mojo Grilled Chicken
- Combine: In a ziploc bag or a large mixing bowl combine the orange juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, and salt. Whisk it all together to combine.
- Reserve: Remove ¼ cup of the marinade and reserve it for later. Keep it covered and refrigerated until you’re ready to use it.
- Add and coat: Add the chicken to the marinade in the bag and coat it all around.
- Marinate: Cover and marinate for 2 hours, and up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Prep: Heat your outdoor grill to MEDIUM-HIGH heat.
- Oil the grill grates with vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Grill: Add chicken to the hot and greased grill grates.
- Grill for 5 minutes, or until golden browned.
- Flip: Flip each chicken breast and continue to cook them for 5 to 6 more minutes, or until they’re cooked through. The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to cook through. Chicken is cooked through when internal temperature registers at 165˚F. Please use an Instant Read Thermometer for best results.
- Rest and top: Transfer chicken to a platter and garnish with reserved marinade.
- Serve: Serve chicken with black beans, guacamole, and lime wedges.
Tips for the Best Mojo Grilled Chicken
Mojo grilled chicken has a marinade with so much flavor and I know you will love it. Follow these simple tips for the best grilled chicken every time!
- Don’t cut your marinating time short. You really want to give that marinade the time it needs to tenderize the chicken.
- Don’t forget to coat your grill grates with vegetable oil before you add the chicken. You want the chicken to char but not to stick to the grates.
- Avoid the urge to disturb or move around the chicken while grilling. Only touch it when it is time to flip.
- You could swap the chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you will need to increase the cook time.
- Don’t forget to save ¼ cup of the marinade BEFORE you add the chicken to the marinade. Once you add the raw chicken to the marinade, you won’t want to use it.
What to Serve with Mojo Chicken
My favorite way to serve mojo chicken is with black beans, guacamole, and lime wedges. Add rice on the side and some warm tortillas. Then throw in some grilled onions and peppers! Maybe some fire roasted corn and some fresh made pico de gallo or avocado salsa.
It shapes up to be a quick and easy, light, fresh, and festive meal the whole family will rave about! You can also chop this chicken and serve it on top of a cool southwest salad, or in a wrap on top of flatbread.
How to Store and Reheat Grilled Chicken
- To store your chicken, allow it to return to room temperature. Then place it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, or the freezer for about 3 months.
- When reheating your leftover Mojo chicken, you’ll want to be careful not to dry it out. Place it in a baking dish in a low oven until it is warm. Or, you can serve it right out of the fridge sliced on top of a salad or in a warp.
Mojo Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup orange juice, no pulp
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro, (use parsley if you don't love cilantro)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (4 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil, for grill grates
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, optional, not included in nutritional information (rinsed and drained)
- Guacamole, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a ziploc bag or a large mixing bowl combine orange juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, and salt; whisk to combine.
- Remove ¼ cup of the marinade and reserve for later. Keep covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Add chicken to the marinade in the bag and coat it all around. Seal and marinate for 1 to 2 hours, and up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Heat outdoor grill to MEDIUM-HIGH Heat. Oil the grill grates with vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Add chicken to the hot and greased grill grates.Grill for 5 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown on the bottom; flip and continue to cook for 5 to 6 more minutes, or until cooked through. The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to cook through. Chicken is cooked through when internal temperature registers at 165˚F.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and garnish with reserved marinade.Serve chicken with black beans, guacamole, and lime wedges.