You’ll love this easy Salmon BLT Salad with creamy homemade ranch! It combines the classic flavor of bacon, lettuce, and tomato with healthy broiled salmon for a scrumptious, satisfying meal.
An Easy and Delicious Salmon Salad Recipe
I love a good BLT salad. There is something so satisfying about the mixture of bacon, tomatoes, and ranch over a bed of lettuce. I used to always treat myself to chicken BLT salads. And then one day, it dawned on me – why am I not using my leftover salmon in this?!
My friend, Salmon BLT salad was born, and I’ve never looked back.
You won’t find any surprises in this salad. A traditional BLT will call for bacon, lettuce, and tomato. You’ll find each of those here in addition to croutons (think, bread), a mayo-based dressing, and my secret weapon – avocado!
Here is everything you’ll need for this Salmon BLT Salad:
- Cooked Salmon: This easy salmon recipe is perfect, or you can use whatever cooked salmon you might have on hand.
- Salad Greens: I adore crunchy romaine lettuce for this, but feel free to use any salad greens.
- Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are great – so juicy!
- Croutons: Optional, but so good.
- Avocado: Avocado adds a luxurious, creamy element, and a serving of healthy fat.
- Bacon: Pre-cooked.
I am all about ease of preparation, so if you need to use your favorite store-bought dressing, I’m here for you, girl. Any ranch will do.
But if you want to make your own, here’s what you’ll need for my homemade ranch dressing:
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients:
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt is the base of the dressing.
- Mayonnaise: I don’t recommend using “salad dressing” style mayo here – it’s a bit sweet. Regular mayonnaise is best, although keto and paleo versions are also good.
- Sour Cream: Yum.
- Lemon and White Wine Vinegar: To give the dressing that ranch tanginess.
- Honey: To balance out the flavors.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
How to Make This Salmon Salad
Chop: Chop up your cooked salmon and set it aside. Cut tomatoes in half and slice your avocados.
Toss: In a large salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, tomatoes, croutons, avocado, and bacon. Set your salad aside.
Mix: In a mixing bowl whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Whisk everything until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Combine: Add your chopped salmon to the salad. Then, gently toss the salad with your salad dressing.
Tips for the Best Salmon Salad
You’ll love everything about this salmon BLT salad, I swear, but these simple tips could make it even better!
- Feel free to hold the avocado if it doesn’t do it for you. Replace it with your favorite cheese, like cheddar or blue.
- If you are watching carbs, simply omit the croutons.
- I prefer to chop my salmon and mix it right, but feel free to serve with your whole broiled salmon fillets on top. You do you.
- Go ahead and load it up with any additional veggies you love, like cucumbers, radishes, or peppers.
What I love about this salad is that it can be a whole meal in itself. You have protein, healthy fat, and loads of veggies. With salmon, bacon, and avocado, it’s even more filling than you might imagine. If you need something easy to grab and go, this salad is perfect in a wrap.
I will also serve it with a soup. The flavors in this salad go great with any potato-based soup or tomato soup.
Or, you could simply serve it with a slice of rustic bread on the side. Perfect for sopping up any of the tangy dressing left on the plate.
Can I Make Salmon Salad in Advance?
This is not a great meal to save once dressed and combined. This typically isn’t a problem here, as we gobble it up in one sitting. I’d recommend making just about as much as you and your family plan on eating.
You CAN prep parts of this salad in advance, though. Broil and chop your salmon in advance. Chop veggies in advance. You can mix your dressing in advance, then cover it tightly and store it in your refrigerator for about 3 days. And, you can bake and crumble your bacon in advance.
Then, when you are ready to serve, simply combine your veggies, salmon, bacon, and dressing in a big bowl and serve!
Salmon BLT Salad
For the Salad
- 12 ounces cooked salmon
- 10 to 12 cups chopped romaine lettuce or salad greens
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 to 2 cups croutons
- 1 large avocado , peeled and diced
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
For the Dressing
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Chop up cooked salmon and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, croutons, avocado, and bacon. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper; whisk until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Add chopped salmon to the salad.
- Gently toss salad with salad dressing.