These savory Asparagus and Prosciutto Chicken Roll Ups are a cheesy and flavorful Italian dinner recipe. They’re made with prosciutto, chicken, asparagus and gooey mozzarella.
An Easy Chicken Dinner Idea Everyone Loves
This hearty comfort food meal is easy to make, it’s delicious, and perfectly seasoned. Juicy chicken breasts are layered with prosciutto, asparagus, and mozzarella cheese. All you have to do is roll them up and pop them in the oven!
This recipe is a crowd-pleaser that you can have on the table in 30 minutes. Serve it for dinner, or cut each rollup in half and serve as an appetizer.
What Are Chicken Roll Ups?
A chicken roll up is exactly what it sounds like – chicken rolled up around a delicious filling! In this recipe we roll chicken breasts around asparagus, ham, and cheese. Every bite is full of savory goodness! You just have to place a toothpick into the roll ups so they keep their shape.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: Cut your chicken breasts in half, longwise, and pound them with a mallet until they’re about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Cooking Spray
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Paprika: Use smoked paprika if you want to add a subtle smoky flavor to your chicken.
- Fresh Mozzarella – you can also use mozzarella cheese slices or provolone cheese slices, but they will melt a bit sooner than the fresh mozzarella.
- Asparagus: Cut the asparagus stalks into 3-inch pieces and only use the piece with the asparagus-tips. I also suggest to use thinner asparagus stalks – they’re much easier to roll up.
How to Make Chicken Roll Ups with Asparagus & Prosciutto
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat your oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. You can also use a well oiled grill pan.
- Season Chicken: Arrange chicken breasts on the foil-lined baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Season chicken breasts with salt, fresh ground black pepper, Italian Seasoning and paprika.
- Layer & Roll: Layer each chicken breast with prosciutto, cheese, and a stalk, or two, of asparagus. Roll them up, starting at the wide end of each chicken breast.
- Fasten with Toothpicks: Set on the baking sheet, seam side down, and add a toothpick through each chicken breast to keep things together.
- Spray with Cooking Spray: Lightly spray your roll ups with cooking spray. If desired, you can add a crack of black pepper on top of the breasts.
- Bake: Cook for 22 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tops are golden.
- Remove from Oven: Remove your roll ups from the oven and let them stand for a few minutes before serving.
Tips for the Best Chicken Roll Ups
- Coat with Bread Crumbs for a Crunchy Crust: If you want to add some crunch to your roll ups, brush them with butter or egg-wash and cover them with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Try Different Seasonings: You can play around with the seasonings in this recipe to achieve different flavors. Try using smoked paprika or a pinch of spicy cayenne pepper.
- Use Boneless Chicken Breasts: You won’t be able to roll up your chicken breasts if they have bones in them. Make sure you use boneless, skinless breasts so you can flatten and roll them.
There are so many sides that taste amazing with this chicken dinner. If you’re not sure what to serve it with, I’ve got you covered:
- Roasted Carrots: These Honey Balsamic Oven Roasted Carrots are the perfect healthy side dish to pair with your roll ups.
- Brussels Sprouts: If you don’t like brussels sprouts, my Slow Cooker Parmesan Brussels Sprouts are sure to change your mind. They go great with this recipe, too!
- Bread: Who doesn’t love homemade bread? You have to try this Easy Homemade Flatbread Recipe. Fried and seasoned with fresh parsley, it goes so well with these roll ups.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Store leftover chicken roll ups in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. They are also freezer friendly! Enjoy frozen roll ups within 2-3 months.
- To reheat leftovers, bake them at 350°F until hot and cheese is bubbling. If you’ve frozen them, thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Asparagus and Prosciutto Chicken Roll Ups
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise and pounded down to about ¼ inch thickness
- cooking spray
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 thin slices fresh mozzarella, you can also use mozzarella cheese slices or provolone cheese slices, but they will melt a bit sooner than the fresh mozzarella.
- 8 stalks asparagus
- Preheat oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Arrange chicken breasts on baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, fresh ground black pepper, Italian seasoning, and paprika.
- Layer each chicken breast with prosciutto, cheese, and a stalk or two of asparagus.
- Roll them up, starting at the wide end of each chicken breast.
- Set on the baking sheet, seam side down. Add a toothpick(s) through each chicken breast to keep things together.
- Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray. Optionally, you can add a crack of black pepper on top of the breasts.
- Cook for 22 to 24 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tops are golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving.