This one pot Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms recipe is smooth, creamy, hearty comfort food at it’s best. A tasty and complete meal in one pan, topped with fresh herbs and full of earthy flavor.
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
If you ask me, chicken and rice go together like peanut butter and jelly, peas and carrots, or coffee and cream.
Chicken and rice are a match made in heaven. The only thing that makes them better together is… MUSHROOMS!
This dish will remind you of your favorite mushroom risotto with the flavors and texture, but you don’t have to slave away stirring a pot for nearly an hour. It’s just so easy and delicious. You may never make mushroom risotto again! I mean, why bother when you can whip this up in half the time?!
If you’ve pulled some chicken to defrost but you have NO idea what to do with it, check your pantry. If you’ve got rice – you definitely need to make this chicken and rice with mushrooms meal!
All you’ll need is:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- garlic powder
- sweet paprika
- onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- long grain rice
- chicken broth
- fresh parsley
What Are the Best Mushrooms to Use in this Recipe?
Mushrooms are seriously magical. They bring so much to the plate. I love the earthy, hearty flavor they add to any meal. This meal, without mushrooms, is just chicken and rice. Now, we can do better than that, right?!?
For this chicken and rice with mushrooms dinner, you can use your personal favorite mushroom. For me, that’s baby bellas. If you’ve never had baby bellas, let me tell you all about them.
For starters, they’re portobello mushrooms that haven’t reached their full maturity. Baby bellas are more firm and have a hearty and earthy flavor. They are quite similar to cremini mushrooms, so go with those if they’re easier to find or if you prefer them.
Other great options: portobellos or button mushrooms. Basically, with any mushroom, you can’t go wrong!
How to Make Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
- Preheat: Set your oven to preheat to 375˚F.
- Combine: Set a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat and melt your butter and olive oil.
- Saute: Add your onions to skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season: Sprinkle garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder over your chicken.
- Cook: Add diced chicken to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until it’s golden brown on all sides.
- Add: Stir in your mushrooms and season the skillet with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender. Next, stir in your garlic. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and increase the heat to high, bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Bake: Turn off the heat and cover the skillet with a lid. Bake it in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the cover and continue to bake for 3 more minutes.
- Rest: Remove the skillet from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley, then serve.
Tips for the Best Chicken and Rice
It doesn’t get much better than a chicken and rice but these simple tips will make this the best chicken and rice dish you’ve had.
- Definitely use a long grain rice for this dish. You can use Jasmine or Basmati rice without having to modify the amount of liquid. Don’t go for a short grain rice or risotto. It won’t be nearly as good.
- For extra flavor, use a chicken stock instead of a broth.
- Since it cooks for quite a long time, choose the firmest mushrooms you can find.
- For a creamier dish, stir some heavy cream into your sauce.
What to Serve with Chicken and Rice
Really, this is a complete meal in one pan. If you’re wanting something green to go along, you could saute up some green beans or roast some broccoli. I like to serve a fresh side salad with most meals at dinner time.
You may also opt to have the chicken and mushrooms but serve them instead with your favorite pasta. Orzo would be great with this!
If you are living the low carb life, swap out the rice for some riced cauliflower or zoodles and this meal will be just as simple and yummy!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Chicken and rice with mushrooms is happy to be stored in your refrigerator for about 3-5 days. Just, make sure it’s in an airtight container.
When you’re ready to reheat it, bring it to a simmer in a skillet over low heat. Allow it to simmer until your chicken is heated through. Stir frequently. If it seems to have dried out a bit, throw in some water or chicken stock to loosen things up.
Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, diced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- grated Parmesan, for garnish
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Combine butter and olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet and set over medium high heat; Melt butter.
- Add onions to skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder.
- Add chicken to the skillet; cook for 5 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Stir in mushrooms; season with salt and pepper, stir, and continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in garlic.
- Add rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat. Cover skillet with a lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to bake for 3 more minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley; serve.