This Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti casserole swirls al dente pasta in a rich and creamy sauce that’s spiked with juicy canned tomatoes. You’ll fold in chunks of seasoned chicken plus a Mexican cheese blend and finish with shredded mozzarella cheese for a quick and flavorful dinner.
I love an easy pasta bake, and this cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe more than fits the bill! There’s so much to say about it; from the super creamy sauce to the gooey, melty cheese on top, this is comfort food at its finest!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- Adaptable: Tender chunks of chicken are a natural choice to add to this chicken spaghetti, but you can try other proteins like turkey or pork or add more vegetables if you like.
- Creamy Comfort Food: A cheesy pasta bake is one of the ultimate comfort food meals, and this casserole is packed with the good stuff: creamy soup, tangy cream cheese, and a cheese blend. Also, don’t forget the melted mozzarella on top! This recipe is a cold-weather favorite.
- Quick and Satisfying: You can make this chicken spaghetti recipe in 20 minutes. I save it for busy weeknights when I know I don’t have a lot of time – it’s a great back-pocket recipe that always fills us up.
What You’ll Need
Here’s the list of all the ingredients you’ll find in this cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe.
- Spaghetti: You can use regular spaghetti or angel hair.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Italian Seasoning: If you don’t have Italian seasoning you can use equal amounts of dried basil and oregano.
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper: I use fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper in my recipes.
- Olive Oil: I prefer extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter will work.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: You can use your favorite brand of “cream of soup” in this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Use full-fat block cream cheese rather than whipped cream cheese.
- Canned Tomatoes: I used a can of petite diced tomatoes, but any diced tomatoes will work.
- Chicken Broth: Regular or low-sodium broth is fine.
- Mexican Cheese Blend: Or substitute shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Use shredded mozzarella.
- Fresh Basil: To garnish.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
Follow along with my photos below to guide you through making this recipe. Find the detailed instructions in the recipe card further down the page.
- Make spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti to al dente and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season. Mix the chicken with the seasonings and salt and pepper.
- Cook. Brown the chicken in olive oil, then set aside.
- Make sauce. Melt some butter in the pot, then add the chicken soup, cream cheese, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Mix. Stir everything together to make a smooth sauce.
- Combine. Stir in the cooked chicken and spaghetti until combined.
- Add mozzarella. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake. Cover the pan with a lid and bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Rest. Remove the dish from the oven and rest for a few minutes, then garnish with basil to serve.
Tips & Variations
Make this recipe as written, or branch out and add vegetables, try a different pasta shape, and more. Check out some options below:
- Add Vegetables: A few cups of chopped baby spinach or peas would be a nice addition to this cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe. Or, throw in some sliced mushrooms or halved cherry tomatoes.
- Try a Different Protein: Use this base to add in different proteins! Try turkey, ham, or even salmon in place of the chicken.
- More Chicken: If you want a heartier dish, you could stir in more chicken. This recipe is a perfect way to use any leftover roast chicken you may have.
- Different Soup: You can try a different “cream of” soup, such as cream of mushroom, in this casserole if you want a different flavor.
- Another Pasta Shape: Spaghetti is fun in this dish, but I love to use tube pasta, such as penne or ziti, too. The sauce gets into the nooks and crannies of the tube pasta, making it even more delectable.
You could technically call this cheesy chicken spaghetti a one-pan meal, but it’s practically begging for a side salad or extra veggies. A fresh Avocado Tomato Salad or light Cucumber Salad is wonderful alongside servings of this casserole. Add some vegetables like my Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, or Romano Beans in Garlic Butter Sauce recipes. Also, my No Knead Dutch Oven Bread is always a hit, or bake a loaf of Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread. Put out a plate of raw vegetables for a crunchy, fresh side- sliced bell peppers, baby carrots, cucumbers, and snow peas are all great choices.
If you have leftover spaghetti casserole, it will make a welcome lunch or quick dinner later in the week. Here’s how to store it:
- Fridge – Place the cooled chicken spaghetti in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe because the sauce can “break” when it’s defrosted because of the dairy components.
- To Reheat – Add a portion of chicken spaghetti to a microwave-safe dish, cover it to prevent any splatter, and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute at a time. Check and keep heating until the pasta is hot and the cheese is melted.
More Easy Pasta Dinners
- Chicken Tortellini Pasta
- Quick Cream Cheese Pasta
- Lasagna Roll Ups
- Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 12 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10.5 ounces can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 14 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions until al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- In a large skillet, Dutch oven, or Braiser, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned chicken and cook it until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add in the cream of chicken soup, softened cream cheese, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and shredded Mexican cheese blend. Mix everything well until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and prepared spaghetti until evenly combined.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the spaghetti and chicken mixture.
- Cover the skillet or Dutch oven with a lid or cover it well with aluminum foil; bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes. For a browned top, remove the lid, turn the oven to broil, and cook it until the cheese is lightly browned in spots, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once done, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.