Light yet hearty, this easy Chicken Fajita Pasta makes the perfect dinner for a family night or a casual get-together with friends. You’ll love this colorful meal made with juicy chicken and tender veggies.
Why I Love Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Combination of Favorites: This recipe combines comforting pasta with the spicy, zesty flavors characteristics of Tex-Mex cuisine.
- Convenient: The recipe requires only about 30 minutes of cooking time, making it an excellent choice for busy weeknights.
- Appealing to All Ages: The dish is perfect for family dinners or casual gatherings with friends, and it’s always a hit among adults and children.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Just like a big skillet of fajitas, this recipe is packed with bell peppers, onions, and well-seasoned chicken. Tender penne pasta gets cooked in the juices from these ingredients, as well as canned tomatoes and seasonings, so it’s extra flavorful.
- Chicken: Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. I find kitchen scissors useful for this task.
- Fajita Seasoning: You can use homemade fajita seasoning or a store-bought packet.
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Veggies: Onion and bell peppers. I like to use red onion, plus red, yellow, and green bell peppers.
- Chicken Broth: Using chicken broth to cook the pasta makes this dish extra flavorful. I usually go with low-sodium chicken broth, but you could also use regular broth or bone broth.
- Canned Tomatoes: Don’t drain the tomatoes, since the juices will help flavor the cooking liquid for the pasta.
- Penne Pasta: Medium pasta like penne goes well with bite-sized pieces of chicken and vegetables.
- Garnishes/Toppings: Fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Pasta
Chicken fajita pasta is a skillet dinner, making it so great for quick cleanup. Grab your favorite pan, and let’s cook!
- Season and Cook the Chicken. In a small bowl, mix together the fajita seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper. Coat the chicken pieces with this mixture, and then heat up some oil in a large skillet. Cook the chicken in the hot oil for about 3 – 4 minutes per side, or until done and golden brown. Place the cooked chicken on a plate and set it aside.
- Cook the Veggies. Next, let’s cook the veggies. In the same skillet, saute the onion and bell peppers for 4 – 5 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender. Place the cooked veggies with the cooked chicken.
- Cook the Pasta. Next, add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes and their juices, and dry penne pasta to the skillet. Bring these ingredients to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and cover it with the lid. Let the pasta cook for about 15 minutes, until it is al dente and the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Finish the Dish. Once the pasta is cooked, return the cooked chicken and veggies to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Enjoy! Serve the chicken fajita pasta hot, garnished with parmesan and fresh basil if desired.
To make this dish a well-rounded meal, just add this favorite bold and colorful Avocado Tomato Salad and a side of these Sauteed Garlic Butter Green Beans. There’s no doubt that cornbread is super delicious with spicy Tex-Mex food! Try my Homemade Cornbread Recipe.
Storing and Reheating
- Transfer leftovers to airtight containers or food storage bags and place them in the fridge for two to four days. I don’t recommend freezing this dish, but if you’d like, store it in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, place the desired amount in a covered skillet over low heat. If the pasta is dry, stir in a splash of broth or water.
More Flavorful Chicken Recipes
Chicken Fajita Pasta
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning, homemade or store bought
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 to 3 small bell peppers, red, yellow, or green, diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 6 ounces dry penne pasta
- fresh basil for garnish
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the fajita seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. Coat the chicken pieces with the seasoning mixture and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large high-sided pan set over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the chicken and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown; stir occasionally. Remove chicken from the pan and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same pan heat up the remaining olive oil. Then stir in the diced onion and bell peppers and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and add the veggies to the plate with cooked chicken.
- In the same pan add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes with their juices, and dry penne pasta. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cover with the lid. Let the pasta cook for 13 to 15 minutes, or until it is al dente and the liquid has mostly been absorbed.
- Return the cooked chicken and vegetables to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Serve the pasta hot, garnished with parmesan and fresh basil, if desired.
- Storage: Store the chicken fajita pasta in airtight containers or food storage bags, and place in the fridge for two to four days.
- Pasta: You can use any type of pasta that you like in this recipe. Penne is a good choice because it holds up well to the sauce, chicken, and veggies, but you can also use spaghetti, fettuccine, elbows, rotini, or any other type of pasta that you have on hand.
- Add Heat: If you prefer a spicier dish, you can add some diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes to the skillet with the vegetables.
- Add Cream: For a creamy pasta dish, try adding half a cup or so of heavy cream to the pasta as it finishes cooking.