This juicy and delicious Avocado Tomato Salad is a refreshing summer side dish or light lunch. It’s fresh, healthy and super easy to make!
A Refreshing & Easy Summer Salad Recipe
This simple salad is made with fresh veggies and lemon juice for an explosion of summer flavors. It’s an amazing light meal or healthy side dish to make for your family. You’ll have this salad on the table in under 10 minutes!
This salad is also a great option for vegetarians, and it can be made vegan if you leave off the cheese or use a plant-based substitute. The colors in this dish are so bright and the flavors are so fresh, it’s about to become your new go-to summer salad.
- Assorted Tomatoes: I like to use heirloom tomatoes when they’re in season.
- Red Onions
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice: You could also use lime juice if you’d prefer.
- Salt & Pepper
- Crumbled Bleu Cheese: If bleu cheese isn’t your thing, use crumbled feta instead. But this salad does go great with bleu cheese!
- Fresh Parsley
How to Make Avocado Tomato Salad
- Combine Veggies: In a large salad bowl, combine tomatoes, avocados and red onions; set aside.
- Make Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing for salt and pepper, and adjust.
- Toss Salad: Add your dressing to the tomato and avocado mixture; toss gently to combine. Taste for salt and pepper; adjust to your liking.
- Garnish & Serve: Top with crumbled cheese and parsley, serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Summer Salad
- Use Fresh Lemon or Lime Juice: The citrus juice in this recipe prevents the avocados from browning too quickly. For the best results, use freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice.
- Adjust Dressing to Taste: Be sure to taste your dressing before you toss the salad and add more salt or pepper as desired.
- Use Ripe Avocados: The riper your avocados are, the yummier and creamier your salad will be. They should be firm but yield to gentle pressure. If you peel back the stem on a ripe avocado, it’ll be green underneath the stem and not yellow.
- Serve Fresh: I always recommend serving this salad while it’s nice and fresh, but you can definitely get away with letting it rest for a bit. The citrus juice will keep your avocados green and vibrant.
There are tons of things you can add to this salad to mix it up. Here are a few of my top recommendations:
- Add Meat: Top off your dish with diced shrimp or chicken to turn it into a hearty dinner salad. Mojo Grilled Chicken would be amazing with this salad!
- Add Olives: This salad tastes even better with a handful of black olives thrown in there.
- Top with Red Pepper Flakes: It’s easy to spice up this cool and creamy salad by topping it with crushed red pepper flakes!
Avocado Tomato Salad
- Salad Bowl
- 2 pounds assorted tomatoes, cut into wedges or chopped
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/3 cup red onions, thinly sliced, about ¼ of a small red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon, (you can also use lime)
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese, or crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large salad bowl, combine tomatoes, avocados and red onions; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Taste the dressing for salt and pepper, and adjust.
- Add dressing to the tomato and avocado mixture; toss gently to combine.
- Top salad with crumbled cheese and parsley.
- If time permits, let salad stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!