Quick marinated steak and crispy pan-fried potatoes are just dinner perfection. These easy Garlic Steak Bites with Potatoes will make your mouth happy!
An Easy Steak Dinner Skillet
Have you ever found yourself at the grocery store after a long day, in a hurry, and trying to think of something to make for dinner? At times like that, I usually want something that’s going to be hearty and substantial, but also super easy. I think all of us have been there at some point. Or every day.
Well, that’s one of the beautiful things about this easy dinner. Steak and potatoes are always amazing! A good steak is a filling and satisfying dinner option, and potatoes are mega popular with my familia! They love the warmth and comfort of potatoes, any style.
Plus, it’s easy and fast to make. The potatoes only have to cook for about 15 minutes, and the steak is done in a fraction of that time. And did I mention this is a one-skillet meal? Great, huh?
What You’ll Need
There are two basic components of this dinner: the marinated steak and the skillet potatoes. Each component is simple and quick to make. If you can get a responsible helper in the kitchen to wash and quarter the potatoes, it’s even easier and faster! Win-win!
For the Garlic Steak Bites
- Soy Sauce: The base of my marinade is ¼ cup soy sauce. I use low-sodium soy sauce, but you can also use regular soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos.
- Olive Oil: Just a tablespoon of olive oil adds richness to the marinade.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This is my secret weapon! Balsamic vinegar packs a wonderful flavor, so you only need a spoonful. If you’re out of balsamic vinegar, use extra Worcestershire sauce.
- Sriracha: I like to add ½ a tablespoon of sriracha, for a spicy kick. You can use more or less to taste, or omit this altogether.
- Worcestershire Sauce: You’ll need a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- Steak: This recipe is for one sirloin steak, about 1 ¼ pounds, cut into 1-inch cubes.
For the Potatoes
- Olive Oil & Butter: I use 1 tablespoon of light olive oil, and a total of 3 tablespoons of butter (divided), for frying.
- Potatoes: Have ready 1 pound of gold baby potatoes, washed and quartered.
- Garlic: Mince or press 4 fresh garlic cloves.
- Thyme & Rosemary: You’ll need ½ teaspoon of each, dried.
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley: For garnish.
- Parmesan: To sprinkle over the potatoes.
What is the best cut of steak to use?
- Any tender cut of steak will work for this dish. I use sirloin steak, but you could substitute ribeye, New York strip, porterhouse, T-bone, or even tenderloin, although tenderloin is usually very pricey!
- Other possibilities include chuck eye, and smaller sirloin “cap sizzlers.” Whatever cut you use, cut away any large pieces of fat or gristle.
How To Make Garlic Steak Bites with Potatoes
I love making this hearty steak dinner in a cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed stainless steel skillet.
- Marinate Steak: In a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients: soy sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sriracha and Worcestershire sauce. Add the steak bites to the marinade. Stir together and set aside to marinate.
- Pan-Fry Potatoes: Set a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. When the oil is hot and the butter is melted, add the potatoes to the skillet and cook them for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Cooking time will also depend on the size of the potatoes.
- Cook Steak Bites: Transfer the potatoes to a plate and set aside. Wipe down the skillet and set it back over medium heat; add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, dried thyme and dried rosemary. Remove the steak bites from the marinade and shake off any excess. Add the steak bites to the skillet, in one layer. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Return Potatoes to Skillet: Add the potatoes back to the skillet, and heat through. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Enjoy! Garnish the dish with parsley and add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the potatoes to serve.
Tips for Success
My best tips and tricks for making this dish, for you! Bon appetit!
- Know Your Doneness: You can cook the steak according to your preferred doneness. For medium, an internal temperature of 140-145°F is good.
- Try Chicken: You can also make this dish with bite-sized chunks of boneless, skinless chicken thighs! Make sure to cook the chicken until it reaches to correct internal temperature for doneness, 165°F.
- Open a Window: You might find that getting your steak nicely seared produces some smoke, so I recommend turning on your stove ventilator fan, and even opening a window if possible.
Some of my favorite things to serve with steak and potatoes include sweet snap peas, salad or other green veggies. I like a bit of color on the plate, don’t you? Here are some easy recipes for you to consider!
- Salad: Avocado Tomato Salad is one of my go-to salad recipes! It’s so full of flavor and nutrition, and it goes with just about everything.
- Snap Peas: Try my sweet Roasted Sugar Snap Peas for a side that complements steak and potatoes perfectly. Mmmm.
- Creamed Spinach: My classic Steakhouse Creamed Spinach never disappoints! It’s a wonderful way to round out this meal.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store, place leftover steak and potatoes in airtight containers, and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat, place the steak and potatoes in a covered skillet over low heat, and cook until just heated through. Do not overcook.
Can I Freeze Garlic Steak Bites?
- Yes, you can! Just place the steak bites into freezer bags and press out as much air as possible before sealing. I recommend freezing the potatoes the same way, in separate bags.
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Garlic Steak Bites with Potatoes
For the Steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sriracha, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¼ pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
For the Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound gold baby potatoes, quartered
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Parsley, for garnish
- Parmesan, for potatoes, optional
- In a large bowl combine soy sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sriracha, and Worcestershire sauce; whisk until combined.
- Add steak bites to the marinade. Stir together and set aside to marinate.
- Set a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
- When oil is hot and butter is melted, add potatoes to the skillet; season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes are cooked and tender. Remove potatoes from skillet and transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Wipe down the skillet and set it back over medium heat; add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, dried thyme, and dried rosemary.
- Remove steak bites from marinade and shake off excess. Add the steak bites to the hot skillet, in one layer.
- Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Add the potatoes back to the skillet and heat through.
- Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with parsley and add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the potatoes.
More Steak Recipes to Try
Looking for other yummy ways to prepare steak? These dishes are delicious – try them out next!
AmandaMay 6, 2021 at 5:05 pm
So full of flavor and one of my favorite meals to make for everyone!
Katerina PetrovskaMay 7, 2021 at 12:22 pm
I hope everyone enjoys it! Thank YOU! 🙂
JoMay 6, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Wow! the steak was perfectly seasoned as well as the potato sides, Definitely making this again and again!
Katerina PetrovskaMay 7, 2021 at 12:21 pm
That’s wonderful! I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
VikkiMay 7, 2021 at 12:39 am
So delicious, and so simple to make! A great dinner
Katerina PetrovskaMay 7, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
JenMay 7, 2021 at 9:04 am
My kids devoured this meal! They’re already asking when we’ll make it again. A total hit!
Katerina PetrovskaMay 7, 2021 at 12:20 pm
That’s great! I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
BethMay 7, 2021 at 1:13 pm
This recipe was so delicious and very tasty! My family absolutely loved this and was a huge hit here. I’ll be making this again!
Katerina PetrovskaMay 10, 2021 at 2:55 pm
That’s wonderful! I am very happy everyone liked it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Amanda LivesayMay 11, 2021 at 6:54 am
Love the marinade on the steak! This was such a delicious dinner.
Katerina PetrovskaMay 12, 2021 at 2:55 pm
Thank YOU! I am very glad you enjoyed it! 🙂