This Grilled Flank Steak with Bleu Cheese Butter is a tender and juicy summer steak recipe! It’s full of flavor and easy to make on your grill.
An Easy Flank Steak Recipe
This steak is soaked in a simple honey marinade and smothered in a 3-ingredient bleu cheese butter. It’s such an easy recipe with tons of savory flavors and a touch of sweetness! Your flank steak will finish grilling in less than 15 minutes.
This recipe is great if you’re looking for some low-effort comfort food. You can’t beat a juicy, buttery steak with a bit of char! Paired with grilled potatoes or asparagus, this is the perfect hearty dinner option.
What is Flank Steak?
Flank steak is a thin, lean cut of meat that comes from the breast of a cow. It can be cooked in many ways, but I particularly love to grill it. Flank steak excels at absorbing marinade flavors and it cooks up nice and tender even though it’s lean!
For the Marinade
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Soy Sauce: I recommend using low-sodium soy sauce for this recipe.
- Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Flank Steak
For the Compound Butter
- Unsalted Butter
- Crumbled Bleu Cheese
- Salt & Pepper: Season your steak and butter to taste with salt and pepper!
How to Grill Flank Steak
- Make Marinade: Combine olive oil, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and minced garlic in a large ziploc bag.
- Marinate Steak: Add your flank steak to the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2 hours, and up to 8 hours.
- Heat Grill: Preheat the grill to 375˚F to 400˚F.
- Grease Grill: Once preheated, brush the grill grates with cooking oil.
- Prepare Steak for Grilling: Remove your steak from the marinade and discard remaining marinade. Lightly pat dry the steak with paper towels and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook: Grill the steak, covered, for 8 minutes; flip over and continue to grill, covered, for 6 more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140˚F for medium-rare.
- Let Cool: Remove your steak from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How to Make Bleu Cheese Butter
- Combine Ingredients: Combine the butter and bleu cheese in a small mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mix and mash until blended.
- Season & Serve: Season your bleu cheese butter with salt and pepper as desired and serve it over your steak.
Tips for Perfectly Grilled Steak
- Grill Covered: Make sure you cover the grill when you cook your flank steak. This will keep all the juices in and allow the steak to cook properly.
- Let Rest Before Serving: Your steak will be hot when it comes off the grill, and it needs to sit for at least 5 minutes for the flavors to intensify.
- Season to Taste: Adjust the amount of salt & pepper on your steak and in your bleu cheese butter to suit your tastes!
How Long to Grill Flank Steak
For medium-rare, melt-in-your-mouth flank steak, grill it for about 14 minutes total. Adjust the cook time accordingly if you prefer a more rare, or a more well-done steak. The meat’s internal temperature should be at least 135˚F when you remove it from the grill.
- Corn on the Cob: Treat yourself to the ultimate summer meal by pairing your steak with my juicy Grilled Corn on the Cob!
- Green Beans: These easy Sautéed Garlic Butter Green Beans make a healthy and delicious side dish for your steak.
- Potatoes: Keep things classic with a heaping plate of steak and potatoes! These Crispy Baked Potato Wedges are the perfect option.
- Salad: I love serving this flank steak with my cool and creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store leftover flank steak, keep it in an airtight container or tightly wrapped with aluminum foil. Leftovers will last in the fridge for about 3 days.
- Reheat your steak in the oven at 250˚F until hot.
Grilled Flank Steak with Bleu Cheese Butter
For the Marinade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
For the Compound Butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and minced garlic in a large ziploc bag.
- Add flank steak to the marinade; seal and refrigerate for 2 hours, and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to 375˚F to 400˚F.
- Once preheated, oil the grill grates with cooking oil.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Lightly pat dry the steak with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak, covered, for 8 minutes; flip over and continue to grill, covered, for 6 more minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 135˚F to 140˚F for medium-rare.
- Remove steak from grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- In the meantime, prepare the compound butter by combining the butter and bleu cheese in a small mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mix and mash until blended.
- Serve steak with compound butter and enjoy!