Traditional flavors of Caprese salad get a new creamy presentation in my Caprese Stuffed Avocados! With fresh tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and a mouthwatering balsamic drizzle, this dish is sure to be a hit!
Creamy Caprese Stuffed Avocados
Don’t you love the flavor of fresh tomatoes? What about fresh mozzarella? Fresh basil? Me too!
That’s why I love all things Caprese salad. This beautiful summery salad with its signature balsamic dressing is a taste I never get tired of! And guess what? There are tons of ways to enjoy Caprese salad, that go beyond the original.
Including this amazing little recipe for avocados stuffed with freshly-made Caprese salad. The avocado added to the salad gives an extra-creamy, super-silky, overall fabulousness to the dish, while the avocado “shells“ are a simply smashing presentation.
You could make this dish for a vegetarian main course, an elegant appetizer, a lovely barbecue side dish, or part of a brilliant afternoon tea. Or, you know, just lunch.
What You’ll Need
This colorful and appetizing dish is easy to make and only needs a few basic ingredients.
- Avocados: Halve 3 avocados, and remove the pits.
- Tomatoes: I use halved cherry tomatoes, but you could use any kind of tomato. Just chop or cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Fresh Mozzarella Balls: Seriously snackable, these little goodies are usually available in the deli or dairy case.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is perfect here.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This crucial ingredient adds loads of flavor and cuts the richness of the avocado and cheese.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
- Italian Seasoning: You’ll need half a teaspoon of your favorite Italian seasoning blend.
- Fresh Basil: Cut basil leaves into ribbons, for garnish.
- Balsamic Glaze: For serving (optional).
How to Make Caprese Stuffed Avocados
Making a gourmet recipe has never been easier! I love how simple this dish is, and how beautiful it looks when it’s ready.
- Prep the Avocados. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the center of each avocado, creating an avocado bowl or shell. Dice up the scooped-out avocado, and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the Caprese Ingredients. To the avocado in the bowl, add your halved tomatoes, mozzarella balls, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and Italians seasoning. Gently toss and fold until well combined.
- Arrange the Salad in the Avocados. Divide the salad among the halved avocados and garnish with basil ribbons. Drizzle with a bit of balsamic glaze (if using).
Tips for Success
Working with avocado doesn’t have to be difficult! Follow these easy tips to make it a simple, no-nonsense prep.
- Choose Ripe: To choose the best avocados, look for avocados that have a bright, dark rind and most importantly, a slight “give” when squeezed. Very soft avocados with a dull rind are over-ripe, and hard avocados with a light color are not yet ripe enough.
- Easily Remove the Pit: To pit an avocado, make a cut all the way around, all the way to the seed, and pull the halves apart. One half will be empty, and one half will have the pit still stuck inside. Carefully hit the pit with a chef’s knife, as as if you were going to cut it in half. The knife will sink part of the way into the pit. Twist the knife and lift, and the pit will twist and lift out cleanly.
- Avoid Discoloration: To keep the exposed edges of your avocado shells green, gently brush them with a bit of lemon juice.
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp: This scrumptious recipe for Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp has the bold but delicate flavor to pair perfectly with Caprese Stuffed Avocados!
- Chicken Parm: An Italian match made in heaven! Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is crispy, saucy, and all around perfect.
- Pesto Chicken: Play up the basil angle with a skillet full of Creamy Pesto Chicken. You’ll love the colors and flavors of this bold recipe!
Caprese Stuffed Avocados
- 3 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup fresh basil ribbons, for garnish
- Balsamic glaze, for serving, optional
- Scoop out avocados, leaving a small border.
- Dice the scooped out avocado and put in a large bowl.
- To the bowl add halved tomatoes, mozzarella balls, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Gently toss and fold until well combined.
- Divide the salad among the halved avocados.
- Garnish with basil ribbons.
- Drizzle with a bit of balsamic glaze (if using).
LarryAug 30, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Hi, Katerina! The recipe looks really delicious! I do have a question: If I scoop around the area of the removed pit and dice the removed avocado, I don’t see any of the diced avocado in any of the photos. And how do you scoop out the whole avocado and make it look so perfect? Maybe it doesn’t matter…all the best to you!