This easy recipe for Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Tomatoes is perfect for a busy weeknight! Full of fresh cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic, it’s simple, summery, and beautiful.
A Fast and Easy Tortellini Recipe
When it’s time for an ultra-fast, ultra-easy meal, I always think of pasta! Pasta can be cooked and tossed with nothing but butter and salt, and it’s still a delicious dish. Thus, if you branch out even just a tiny bit, and add some sauce, garlic, or veggies, it’s practically a feast!
I like to do pasta with meat sauce or sauteed chicken a lot of the time, but now-and-then I go for a simpler vegetarian version, like this easy tortellini dish.
Tortellini are pasta “dumplings” somewhat like ravioli, and are usually filled with a mild cheese filling. You can buy fresh or dried cheese tortellini; for this dish, I recommend fresh. It’s typically kept near the cheese in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
What You’ll Need
This simple recipe really sings when the ingredients are fresh, so I recommend using fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, tortellini — fresh everything! However, it’s also good with substitutions, so if you need to use garlic powder, dried tortellini, or other substitutions, go for it!
- Tomatoes: For this recipe, I like to use cherry tomatoes! But you can use any kind of tomato that you prefer, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Garlic Cloves: Garlic is one of the real stars of this dish, so mince or press about six fresh garlic cloves.
- Oil: I use olive oil, but avocado oil would also be good.
- Salt and Pepper: Use about a teaspoon of kosher salt (or your favorite salt; you may need to adjust the amount) and two teaspoons of cracked black pepper.
- Tortellini: You’ll need a pound of fresh, refrigerated cheese tortellini.
- Parmesan: Grate it fresh for the best flavor.
- Basil: For a pretty garnish, use fresh basil leaves, julienned into thin ribbons.
How to Make Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Tomatoes
This recipe is so easy to make, it’s sure to become a favorite in your weeknight rotation. Having a fresh and healthy vegetarian meal on the table has never been simpler!
- Roast the Tomatoes. First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, in a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Transfer the tomatoes to a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft.
- Cook the Tortellini. While the tomatoes are roasting, cook the tortellini according to the package directions. Drain.
- Combine. When the tomatoes are done, add them to the tortellini and toss to combine. Garnish the dish with parmesan and basil, and serve.
Tips for Success
- Salt the Pasta Water. Different cooks feel differently about salting pasta cooking water, but I find that it helps to give the final dish a pleasant fullness of flavor.
- Don’t Overcook the Tortellini. The package directions on fresh tortellini typically give a range of cooking times (from 5 to 7 minutes, for example). Test your tortellini at the earliest time, to avoid overcooking. A “done” tortellini will be easy to cut with a fork or spoon.
- Make Extra: Roasted tomatoes are not only good with tortellini. They’re awesome to have on hand for making salsa, adding to soup, or using with meats. I recommend making extras and freezing!
What to Serve with Tortellini
Tortellini with roasted tomatoes is great on its own, but if you want to add a few sides, here are a few tasty possibilities!
- Parmesan Fries: I like to serve pasta with a crispy side like my Parmesan Panko Asparagus Fries. This veggie favorite is not only scrumptious, it’s easy, too!
- Rolls: A side of freshly-baked No-Knead Dinner Rolls turns any meal into an occasion.
- Green Beans: Classic Garlic Butter Green Beans are a foolproof side dish that goes with everything! I like to make double and save half for another meal.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store leftovers, pack into airtight containers and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat, place leftovers in a covered skillet over low heat cook until just heated through.
Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 16 to 19 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- freshly grated parmesan, for garnish
- fresh basil ribbons, for garnish
- freshly cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, toss together tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer tomatoes to a baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft.
- Remove from oven.
- In the meantime, cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Drain the tortellini.
- Add roasted tomatoes to the drained tortellini and toss to combine.
- Garnish with parmesan, basil, and cracked pepper.
KaterinaSep 3, 2021 at 8:30 am
What a fabulous weeknight recipe, Katerina – thanks so much for sharing!
Katerina PetrovskaSep 4, 2021 at 6:42 am
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂