Juicy and tender pork chops cooked in a rich and creamy mushroom gravy! These Instant Pot Pork Chops will make a quick but wonderfully delicious meal.
Instant Pot Pork Chop Recipe
Juicy pork chops are one of my favorite meals! Somehow, they combine a down-home comfort food flavor with the appeal of a good steak, you know? And, if you add a creamy mushroom gravy, it makes for some serious grub.
For many cooks, pork chops are frustrating because they often turn out dry and tough. After one failed attempt, it seems easier to cook something familiar, an easy dinner if you will, especially on busy nights. But I think I can change your mind with these pork chops – they always come out super tender and juicy because they’re cooked in the Instant Pot! High pressure cooking practically guarantees a delicious result every time.
What You’ll Need
Get ready for deliciousness! With plenty of seasonings, fresh mushrooms, and heavy cream, this is a meal you’ll crave! It’s the ultimate easy recipe to add to your weeknight rotation, thanks to the electric pressure cooker.
- Pork Chops: This recipe makes two bone-in pork chops, 3/4-inch thick.
- Seasonings: Salt, Garlic Powder Paprika, Black Pepper, Dried basil, and Dried Rosemary: This simple seasoning mix adds so much delicious flavor.
- Olive Oil: I like to use olive oil for the sautéing because it stands up to the heat better than extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter: A tablespoon of butter gives extra richness to the finished sauce.
- Onion: Finely dice one small yellow onion, but you can substitute any onion you have on hand. Leeks would also taste great.
- Mushrooms: You’ll need 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms, cleaned.
- Chicken Broth: The cooking liquid for the sauce and for pressurizing – you’ll need 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth. You can substitute beef or vegetable broth.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the sauce, you’ll need a tablespoon of cornstarch plus water to make a slurry.
- Cream: Heavy cream gives the sauce a wonderful, creamy flavor and texture.
- Fresh Chopped Parsley: For garnish.
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Pork Chops
This method is so simple, like making a one-pan dinner on the stovetop, but faster! And the pork chops come out so juicy thanks to the pressure cooking.
- Sauté Pork Chops: Season the pork chops. Select the Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and heat the olive oil and butter. Add the pork chops and brown on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Sauté Veggies: Remove the pork chops and transfer them to a plate; set aside. To the inner pot, add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Broth & Pork Chops: Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chicken broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the pork chops to the IP and arrange them in a single layer.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid in place. Select “Pressure Cook” and set it on HIGH for 10 minutes. When the cooking time ends, do a quick release of the pressure. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the pork chops to a serving dish. For best results, use a meat thermometer and check the pork chops for doneness. They are cooked through when their internal temperature registers at 145˚F.
- Make The Sauce: Select the “Sauté” mode. Make the cornstarch slurry and pour it into the Instant Pot; stir or whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. For a creamier sauce, you can stir in heavy cream and cook for a minute or until heated through. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to taste.
- Enjoy! Serve the pork chops with the creamy mushroom sauce.
Tips for Success
- Boneless Chops: If you need to substitute boneless pork chops, remember that boneless chops take 8 minutes to cook, not 10. Also, they may dry out more easily than bone-in chops, so use an instant-read meat thermometer for the best result.
- Flavor Options: Change up the recipe by swapping one simple ingredient! Substituting a combination of dried oregano and basil for the rosemary will give a delicious twist to the basic recipe. Or, omit the herbs altogether and just use the salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika. You could also add a sprinkle of brown sugar on top of the pork chops.
- Apple Juice: Get a hint of sweetness and classic apple flavor in your recipe by substituting half a cup of apple juice for half a cup of broth.
What To Serve with Pork Chops
There are so many great sides you could serve with this entree. I love having a big helping of mashed potatoes with the gravy, but these Garlic Honey Sweet Potatoes are also delicious. My Easy Roasted Vegetables or these Sauteed Green Beans are always a perfect side dish to any meal. Don’t forget my No-Knead Dinner Rolls – they’re actually a super easy, mostly hands-off recipe.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- To store your leftovers, place the pork chops and any sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze the pork chops for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- To reheat, place the pork chops and the sauce in a covered skillet or saucepan over low heat. Cook until heated through, but do not overcook. Alternatively, you could place the pork and sauce in a baking dish covered with foil and bake at 350°F until heated through. Again, be careful not to overcook!
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Pressure Cooker Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and Rice
Instant Pot Pork Chops
- 2 large bone-in pork chops, about one-inch thick, or you can also use 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup heavy cream, optional
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season pork chops with garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, basil, and rosemary.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button.
- Add olive oil and butter to the instant pot.
- When oil is hot and butter is melted, add the pork chops and brown on each side; about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove pork chops and transfer to a plate; set aside.
- To the insert of the instant pot add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add more oil, if needed.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Return pork chops to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid in place. Select “Pressure Cook” and set on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time ends, release pressure and then do a quick release.
- Carefully remove the lid and transfer pork chops to a serving dish.
- Select the "Saute" mode on the Instant pot.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water until combined; add it to the sauce in the instant pot. Stir constantly until gravy has thickened.
- Optionally, stir in some heavy cream for a creamier gravy sauce and continue to cook for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Taste for salt and pepper; adjust to taste.
- Serve the pork chops with the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.