Tender, juicy sautéed pork chops cooked in a rich and creamy mushroom gravy! These Instant Pot Pork Chops will make a quick, but wonderfully delicious meal.
Tender, Juicy Instant Pot Pork Chops with Gravy
Pork chops are one of my favorite meals! Somehow they combine a down-home comfort food flavor with the appeal of a good steak, you know? And, if you add a creamy mushroom sauce? Oh. My. Goodness. Serious grub.
If you avoid cooking pork chops, though, I get it! For a lot of cooks, pork chops are one of those protein options that are just frustrating. We’ve all had nice, juicy pork chops, and probably most of us have cooked disappointingly tough, dry pork chops. After one failed attempt, it seems easier to just cook something you know, especially on busy nights.
But, these pork chops always come out super tender and juicy, because they’re made in the Instant Pot! The pressurized cooking in the Instant Pot practically guarantees a delicious result every time, as long as you have the right thickness of the pork chops and the correct amount of liquid.
What You’ll Need
Get ready for deliciousness! With plenty of mouthwatering seasonings, fresh mushrooms, onions and heavy cream, this is a meal you’ll crave! It’s the ultimate easy dish to add to your weeknight rotation.
- Pork Chops: This recipe makes two bone-in pork chops, 3/4-inch thick.
- Salt, Garlic Powder & Paprika: You’ll need 1 teaspoon of each.
- Pepper, Dried Basil & Dried Rosemary: Half a teaspoon of each adds so much delicious flavor.
- Olive Oil: I like to use light olive oil for the sautéing in this dish, because it stands up to the heat better than extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter: A tablespoon of butter gives a little extra richness to the finished sauce.
- Onion: Finely dice one small onion. I use yellow onions here, but you can substitute any kind of onion you have on hand. Leeks would also taste great.
- Mushrooms: You’ll need 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms, cleaned.
- Chicken Broth: For the sauce and for pressurizing, you’ll need 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth. Low-sodium is my preference, but any kind will work, or you can substitute beef or vegetable broth.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the sauce, you’ll need a tablespoon of cornstarch plus water to make a slurry.
- Cream: Heavy cream gives the sauce a wonderful, creamy flavor and texture.
- Fresh Chopped Parsley: For garnish.
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Pork Chops
This method is so simple, like making a one-pan dinner on the stovetop. It’s just faster! And the pork chops come out so tender thanks to the pressure cooking. Yum!
- Sauté Pork Chops: Season the pork chops with garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, basil and rosemary. Turn on the Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button. Add olive oil and butter to the Instant Pot. When the oil is hot and the butter is melted, add the pork chops and brown on each side; about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Sauté Veggies: Remove the pork chops and transfer them to a plate; set aside. To the insert of the Instant Pot, add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Broth & Pork Chops: Stir in the chicken broth. Return the pork chops to the Instant Pot.
- Pressure Cook: Secure the lid in place. Select “Pressure Cook” and set on HIGH for 10 minutes. When the cooking time ends, do a quick release of the pressure. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the pork chops to a serving dish.
- Make Sauce: Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Make the cornstarch slurry and pour into the Instant Pot; stir or whisk until the sauce begins to thicken. For a creamier sauce, you can also stir in heavy cream and cook for a minute, or until heated through. Taste for salt and pepper; adjust to taste.
- Enjoy! Serve the pork chops with the creamy mushroom sauce.
Tips for Success
Want more advice for making perfect smothered pork chops? Check out my recipe suggestions below.
- Boneless Chops: If you need to substitute boneless pork chops, that’s also fine. Boneless chops take 8 minutes instead of 10 to cook. Keep in mind that boneless chops may dry out more easily than bone-in chops! Either way, look for well-marbled chops for the best result.
- Flavor Options: Change up the recipe by swapping one simple ingredient! Substituting a combination of dried oregano and basil for the rosemary will give a delicious twist to the basic recipe. Or, omit the herbs altogether and just use the salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.
- Apple Juice: Get a hint of sweetness and classic apple flavor in your recipe by substituting half a cup of apple juice for half a cup of the broth. So tasty!
What To Serve with Instant Pot Pork Chops
There are so many great sides you could serve with this entree. I love having a big helping of mashed potatoes with the gravy, but rice is also perfect, or buttered noodles, or cauliflower “rice” or mash! Do what works for you! Here are a few other ideas to get you started:
- Sweet Potatoes: These Garlic Honey Sweet Potatoes are so deliciously addictive, once you try them, you’ll make them again and again!
- Roasted Veggies: My Easy Roasted Veggies are the perfect side for any meal. You’ll love how easily this healthy, hearty dish comes together.
- Dinner Rolls: These No-Knead Dinner Rolls taste like you worked on them all day, but they’re actually a super easy, mostly hands-off recipe. Your family will love you for these!
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- To store your leftovers, place the pork chops and any sauce in food storage containers or bags and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- You can also freeze the pork chops for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- To reheat, place the pork chops and the sauce in a covered skillet or saucepan over low heat. Cook until heated through, but do not overcook. Alternatively, you could place the pork and sauce in a baking dish covered with foil, and bake at 350°F until heated through. Again, be careful not to overcook!
Instant Pot Pork Chops
- Instant Pot
- 2 large bone-in pork chops, about one-inch thick, or you can also use 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup heavy cream, optional
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season pork chops with garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, basil, and rosemary.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button.
- Add olive oil and butter to the instant pot.
- When oil is hot and butter is melted, add the pork chops and brown on each side; about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove pork chops and transfer to a plate; set aside.
- To the insert of the instant pot add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add more oil, if needed.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Return pork chops to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid in place. Select “Pressure Cook” and set on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time ends, release pressure and then do a quick release.
- Carefully remove the lid and transfer pork chops to a serving dish.
- Select the "Saute" mode on the Instant pot.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water until combined; add it to the sauce in the instant pot. Stir constantly until gravy has thickened.
- Optionally, stir in some heavy cream for a creamier gravy sauce and continue to cook for 1 minute, or until heated through.
- Taste for salt and pepper; adjust to taste.
- Serve the pork chops with the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Other Easy Instant Pot Dinners
Don’t you love how easy the Instant Pot makes weeknight dinners? You have to try these recipes next.