My Easy Meatloaf is a kid-friendly classic, easy to pull together and sure to be a hit. You’ll love this sweet, savory, saucy, and perfectly seasoned baked meatloaf!
Easy Homemade Meatloaf Recipe
Meatloaf is a great recipe for a comfy-cozy dinner that fills you up and makes you feel good. I like it on Sunday nights, as a kind of comfort food farewell to the weekend, but it’s also easy enough to put together on a weeknight. This recipe is classic, well-seasoned, saucy meatloaf, perfect for a wholesome meal, and delicious in sandwiches the next day! You can serve it with mashed potatoes and peas for a perfectly traditional American dinner, or check out some of my nifty serving suggestions below.
Why You’ll Love This Meatloaf Recipe
The unique thing about this recipe is that we are using barbecue sauce in place of the more standard ketchup and boosting the flavor even more with Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. These ingredients come absolutely packed with flavor and make putting the recipe together super fast. You can use any kind of barbecue sauce that you enjoy!
Ingredients For Meatloaf
- Ground Beef: I make meatloaf with lean beef to reduce the amount of grease in the recipe.
- Breadcrumbs: Have ready ½ cup of breadcrumbs. You could also use crushed crackers.
- Onion: Dice up half a cup of onion. I used a white onion, but yellow, sweet and red onions will also work.
- Egg: Lightly beat 1 large egg.
- Garlic: Mince 1 tablespoon of garlic; about 3 cloves.
- Italian Seasoning: You’ll need 3 tablespoons of your favorite Italian Seasoning blend.
- Salt & Pepper: I use one teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Barbecue Sauce: You’ll use half a cup of prepared barbecue sauce in the meatloaf, and half a cup on top.
- Worcestershire Sauce: I used 2 tablespoons of this versatile sauce to add plenty of savory flavor.
- Fresh Parsley: For garnish.
How to Make Meatloaf
This straightforward recipe only needs to be mixed and baked! It’s a comforting, easy dish that’s perfect for a family meal.
- Prep Oven & Pan: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with foil and lightly grease both the pan and the foil (leave plenty of foil overlapping the sides of the pan to make it easier to remove the meatloaf after cooking).
- Make Meatloaf Mixture: In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, ½ cup of barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. Mix until well combined, but do not overmix, or the meatloaf will be tough.
- Shape Loaf: Shape the beef mixture into a loaf in the prepared pan. Spread the remaining barbecue sauce over the top.
- Bake: Bake the meatloaf for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature registers at 165°F. Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How Long to Cook Meatloaf
When cooking meatloaf, I have found success with a cooking time of 50 minutes, but depending on your oven, pan, and ingredients, that time may vary. The most important thing is the temperature. Even if you have to cook the meatloaf for an extra ten or twenty minutes, just make sure that the internal temp reaches 165°F.
Tips for Success
- Avoid Overmixing: To keep your meatloaf tender, be careful to mix the ingredients until just combined. You can stir together all of the ingredients except the beef first, and then add the beef and stir until combined to reduce the amount of mixing.
- Sauté the Onions: If you have extra time, consider letting the diced onion caramelize before making the meatloaf! It adds an extra dimension of sweet and savory flavor. You can also grate the raw onion instead of dicing.
- Mini Meatloaves: You can bake this recipe in mini loaf pans or a muffin tin for individualized servings.
- Homemade Bread: Make a loaf of this No Knead Dutch Oven Bread and serve it with butter. Bonus: you can make tasty meatloaf sandwiches later!
- Roasted Vegetables: You can’t go wrong with perfectly caramelized roasted veggies! Try my Easy Roasted Vegetables recipe and see for yourself.
- Potatoes: Baked, smashed, mashed potatoes, I love them in any style. For something a little different, I turn to Hedgehog Roasted Potatoes.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store meatloaf, place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat, bake the leftovers at 350°F until heated through, or slice and gently cook in a covered skillet until heated through.
- To freeze, wrap leftover meatloaf in two layers of plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer bag, pressing out as much air as possible before sealing. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
More Ground Beef Recipes
Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Line a loaf pan with foil and lightly grease both pan and foil. Leave plenty of overlap to make it easier to remove the meatloaf after cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, ½-cup barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined, but do not overmix or the meatloaf will be tough.
- Shape the beef mixture into a loaf in the prepared pan. Spread the remaining barbecue sauce over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165˚F. Let the meatloaf stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.