This savory, cheesy Chicken Fajitas Casserole is a staple chicken dinner recipe in our house. It’s such an easy way to make deconstructed chicken fajitas!
The Easiest Ever Way to Make Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajitas casserole is filled with peppers, cheese and homemade seasonings. You won’t believe how easy it is to make! If you’re looking to spice up your chiken dinners, this recipe is a great place to start. All it takes is a handful of fresh ingredients to turn basic baked chicken breasts into flavorful chicken fajitas.
There are tons of ways to make this recipe your own, but here’s what I use to make my favorite chicken fajitas:
- Baked Chicken Breasts: I recommend making my Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts for the best baked chicken! Or, you can always just use that rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Red Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese: I love using white and yellow cheddar for this recipe, but you can definitely opt for your favorite shredded cheese.
- Fajita Seasoning Mix: You can’t go wrong with my 5 Minute Homemade Fajita Seasoning.
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro: Parsley works too! Use your favorite garnish.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas Casserole
This casserole comes together in no time with your pre-cooked chicken breasts. It’s the perfect meal-prep chicken dinner!
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 350˚F and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Shred Chicken: Shred the baked chicken breasts and then transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Heat Oil: Heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Cook Peppers & Onions: Add peppers and onions to the hot oil; sprinkle with salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and add to the chicken. Set aside.
- Make Seasoning: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, half of shredded cheese, fajitas seasoning mix, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add to Chicken: Add cream cheese mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.
- Assemble: Transfer chicken mixture to previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is melted.
- Garnish & Serve: Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
Tips for the Best Fajitas
- Make Homemade Seasoning for Best Flavor: I highly recommend making my easy homemade fajita seasoning. It only adds a few minutes to this recipe, and the flavor it provides is well worth it. You will never want to use store-bought fajita seasoning again.
- Shred Chicken to Your Liking: If you want a chunkier chicken casserole, you can cut your baked chicken breasts into cubes rather than shredding them. It’s completely up to you and your preferences.
- Add More Meat if You Want: You can easily make these chicken fajitas into a meat-lovers casserole! Try adding sliced sausage, ham, bacon or any other meats you love.
This recipe is so versatile and fun to play around with. There are also tons of sides that taste amazing with these chicken fajitas!
- Beans: Pair your casserole with a classic side of refried beans. Green beans are also a tasty option! My personal favorites are these Lemon Butter Green Beans or these slow-cooked Green Beans and Tomatoes.
- Rice: Another classic combination for chicken fajitas is rice. I often pair this recipe with my Creamy Garlic Butter Parmesan Rice.
- Tortillas: Make these fajitas into tacos, burritos, and quesadillas! Both corn and flour tortillas work well for this. Add diced tomato, avocado and salsa if you like.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- You can easily store your leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just place them in an airtight container.
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave to your preferred temperature.
- You can also store your leftovers in the freezer where they’ll last for a good month or two. When you’re ready to reheat them, let your fajitas thaw out on the counter and then bake until the cheese starts to bubble.
Chicken Fajitas Casserole
- 1 pound cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened, cut up into pieces for easier mixing
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Shred the baked chicken breasts and then transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add strips of peppers and onions to the hot oil; sprinkle with salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and add to the chicken. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, HALF of shredded cheese, fajitas seasoning mix, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer chicken mixture to previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve and enjoy!
JenAug 10, 2020 at 7:09 pm
I loved how easy this was to make! Thank you for getting us out of our chicken dinner routine rut. We’ll definitely be making this again.
Katerina PetrovskaAug 11, 2020 at 3:08 pm
I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank you so much!! 🙂
YvonneNov 1, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Sounds delicious but 604 calories for how much food? 1/2 cup? 1 cup? I am watching my weight and need to know for portion control.
MikeAug 10, 2020 at 8:13 pm
I’m sorry, but I’m a little confused. In step 8, you say to “Add sour cream mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.” I’ve re-read the recipe three times now, and can’t see any other mention of “sour cream.” Am I just not seeing it, or do you mean the cream cheese mixture? I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m not good at cooking, so I need really clear instructions. Thank you for any help you can offer.
KaterinaAug 11, 2020 at 1:09 pm
You’re absolutely right; I meant to say “cream cheese mixture”. SO sorry about that!
JudyJun 14, 2021 at 5:17 am
Maybe you should fix that? It still says ‘sour cream’ in step 5 and I was confused enough to read the comments to see if this was addressed.
YvonneJul 13, 2021 at 7:59 am
Yes it would have been helpful if it was fixed after the mistake was noticed. But I still enjoyed the end result.
JackieMar 21, 2022 at 5:48 pm
Sometimes thinking outside the box can help you figure these small things out. No need to crucify her over a small error!
AlexJan 15, 2022 at 4:33 pm
Could you please fix this mistake? I also had to go through the comments to see what you meant.
Sara WelchAug 10, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Tried this for dinner last night and it did not disappoint! Easily, a new favorite casserole recipe!
Katerina PetrovskaAug 11, 2020 at 3:07 pm
That’s wonderful! I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
KristinaJan 2, 2022 at 12:11 pm
I just found this and I am making it tonight. Question for you, what would you serve as a side with this or do you have to at all?
KaterinaJan 3, 2022 at 8:44 am
I just serve this with a big green salad. My kids do reach for the flour tortillas, though. 😀
If you read through the post, I have listed a few side dish suggestions above;
Lemon Butter Green Beans, Green Beans and Tomatoes, Creamy Garlic Butter Parmesan Rice. These are all recipes that you can find on this website. Just hit the “search” icon at the top right of my site and look for the recipes.
Dorothy ReinholdAug 11, 2020 at 1:46 am
My crew is going to flip for this casserole! I love that you added the creaminess of the cream cheese! Perfection.
Katerina PetrovskaAug 11, 2020 at 3:06 pm
Thank you so much, Dorothy! I hope you and your family enjoy it! 🙂
Allyson ZeaAug 11, 2020 at 12:51 pm
This casserole was so easy and delicious! Everyone had seconds1
Katerina PetrovskaAug 11, 2020 at 3:06 pm
That’s great! I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
CatalinaAug 11, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Sounds like an easy and super tasty dinner idea!
Katerina PetrovskaAug 12, 2020 at 4:39 pm
I hope you enjoy it! Thank YOU! 🙂
JADSep 5, 2020 at 12:24 am
I made this casserole tonight (04SEP2020). While the flavors are good, the casserole is very dry. Next time, I will try adding chicken broth (or chicken stock) to the dish (probably 1/4 cup).
SandyMar 12, 2021 at 8:05 pm
I bet a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies would be 👍or salsa would solve that problem and taste great!!!
MichelleDec 5, 2021 at 7:50 pm
Yes, the tomatoes with jalepino hit the spot!!! Perfect! Think I will try some sour cream and pinto beans next time too!
Katerina PetrovskaDec 8, 2021 at 4:00 pm
I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
KathyOct 18, 2021 at 4:22 pm
I actually made the fajita mix like it said to do on the back of the fajita mix. I was afraid it would be too dry otherwise.
pennySep 16, 2020 at 3:44 pm
I really enjoyed following the other links regarding the fajita mix and the chicken..however I really couldn’t bring myself to use so much cheese as it sounded like a heart attack waiting to happen haha so I used 100 grams of light philadelphia cheese and about the same of cheddar cheese along with a cup of chicken stock. So this was a healthier but still very tasty version.
BarbaraFeb 21, 2021 at 2:11 am
Love this recipe! I used leftover rotisserie chicken. Delicious! I will definitely make this again!
Katerina PetrovskaFeb 21, 2021 at 3:57 pm
That’s great! I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Anjelique WilliamsMar 9, 2021 at 2:28 am
Hello Would you recommend layering with soft shells? If so, corn or flour? Thanks in advance.
TanyaApr 24, 2021 at 5:51 pm
I just did this recipe tonight. I used one tortilla soft and layered with retried beans, salsa, and cream cheese. Then put another tortilla on top. Very tasty. But, I think it would also be good in a salad, with tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and fry the tortillas in strips and put on the salad!!
JamieMar 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Do you think this could be assembled and frozen for future use? Making meals for sick family but must be able to freeze anything I take
KaterinaMar 22, 2021 at 5:26 pm
Technically yes, you can freeze just about any casserole, however, cream cheese (and all creamy casseroles) are a bit tricky to freeze because the fats tend to separate. Because of that the texture and flavor suffer. I would suggest to freeze the other ingredients and add the cream cheese later, after the dish has thawed, and right before cooking.
GailJun 10, 2021 at 11:00 am
My family loved this recipe. They were missing being able to eat it as a fajita so I gave them shells and chopped lettuce. Fantastic. Thank you.
Katerina PetrovskaJun 13, 2021 at 10:35 am
I’m very glad you and your family enjoyed it! Thank you so much! 🙂
Clare LeFortJun 15, 2021 at 11:45 am
FABULOUS Recipe!! So basic and easily followed! I served it with a side of egg noodles. My sons thoroughly enjoyed it and strongly suggested we KEEP THIS ONE!👍😉👍Thank You👌
Katerina PetrovskaJun 16, 2021 at 11:33 am
That’s great to hear! I am very glad you and your family enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
JoJun 25, 2021 at 11:36 am
I made this last night and it was delicious. My only complaint is that it was too salty. But that was my fault, I used store bought fajita seasoning. Next time I’m going to make the one you listed. Thanks so much for the recipe.
Katerina PetrovskaJun 28, 2021 at 2:17 pm
I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Natalie MJun 26, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Made this for dinner and OMG its so good. My boyfriend and my picky 4 year old loved it. Will definitely start making this over regular fajitas. Thank you for the recipe!!
Katerina PetrovskaJun 28, 2021 at 2:16 pm
That’s great to hear! I am very glad everyone enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Christine C BoeweJul 12, 2021 at 6:55 pm
Very good but it WAS pretty salty. Will be making it again! Thank you
StephanieJul 26, 2021 at 8:42 am
My fiancé is an extremely picky eater and I’ve been trying to expand his taste buds. He’s never had a fajita before and was hesitant to try it. While it was cooking, he kept saying how delicious it smelled (I licked the bowl clean after throwing the dish in the oven). He ended up loving it so much he had a huge second helping. This is a definite winner recipe to be made many more times. It was so flavorful and made enough for the two of us to have leftovers the next day. I can’t wait to continue trying different sides with this making it in the future. Also after reading the other reviews, I can’t comment on if it was too salty by following the recipe. I have to watch my salt intake since I’m 7 months pregnant so I only used a dash of salt when baking the chicken and a dash in the pepper/onion mix and it was perfect!
KaterinaJul 26, 2021 at 1:48 pm
I am very glad you and your fiance enjoyed this dish! Thank you for chiming in! 🙂
BethAug 9, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Made this tonight and it was wonderful! I was a little skeptical because I didn’t think 8 oz of cream cheese sounded like enough. I added a small amount of chicken broth from cooking the chicken (maybe 1/4 cup), and probably used more peppers and chicken than the recipe called for. I will definitely make this again!
Katerina PetrovskaAug 10, 2021 at 12:30 pm
That’s great! I’m very happy you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
BethAug 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm
My husband wanted the leftovers for dinner tonight! It’s a miracle there was any left 😮
Katerina PetrovskaAug 12, 2021 at 12:58 pm
That’s great to hear! 🙂 I’m very happy you and your family enjoyed it! Thank you for chiming in! 🙂
Sally ASep 7, 2021 at 10:39 am
I made this last night and while it is delicious, to me there was too much cream cheese. Next time I’m going to try to come up with some combination of at least 1/2 as much cream cheese, mixed with something like plain Greek yogurt or sour cream. Do you have any suggestions?
ChristyOct 17, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Can this recipe be made the day before?
Martin BickermanNov 7, 2021 at 8:35 am
I’m confused about the “add the sour cream mixture”. Is it cream cheese or sour cream?
DawnNov 18, 2021 at 10:58 pm
After reading earlier comments, it is cream cheese. Directions need to be corrected to reflect that. 🙂
Jo Ann G CinnamonNov 14, 2021 at 12:19 pm
I have a bag of frozen fajita chicken. Should I adjust the fajita seasoning?
Judith GoodbarMar 10, 2022 at 9:22 pm
While reading the instructions to put the ingredients together, #4 says to add sour cream mixture to chicken and peppers. Sour cream is not in the ingredients list. Please let me know what is correct as I would like to make this casserole for my family. Thank you.
KaterinaMar 12, 2022 at 6:57 am
It’s supposed to be cream cheese mixture, not sour cream mixture. I’ll fix it, asap.
AisteJun 5, 2022 at 1:32 pm
Thank you I loved it !!!!
TeresaAug 22, 2022 at 10:54 am
Going to make tonight! Could you sub the cream cheese for Greek yogurt?
KarsonellaNov 19, 2022 at 5:53 pm
Thank you for the deliciousness!! I do think it was a a bit petty to go on & on about such a small error. We’re all fully aware & know to use cream cheese. The most important thing is she’s shared such a delightful, absolutely delicious meal that I’m pretty sure we were all looking for. I for one am very grateful! Hats off to the chef. Thank you for the time & consideration you spend for us. 👼
Katerina PetrovskaNov 21, 2022 at 10:45 am
Thank you so much! I am very happy you loved it!!
IvoryApr 25, 2023 at 7:11 pm
This recipe has all of my favorites. Thanks for sharing
Katerina PetrovskaApr 26, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Thank YOU! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂