This savory, cheesy Chicken Fajitas Casserole is a staple chicken dinner recipe in our house. It’s such an easy way to make deconstructed chicken fajitas!
The Easiest Ever Way to Make Chicken Fajitas
This chicken fajitas casserole is filled with peppers, cheese and homemade seasonings. You won’t believe how easy it is to make! If you’re looking to spice up your chiken dinners, this recipe is a great place to start. All it takes is a handful of fresh ingredients to turn basic baked chicken breasts into flavorful chicken fajitas.
There are tons of ways to make this recipe your own, but here’s what I use to make my favorite chicken fajitas:
- Baked Chicken Breasts: I recommend making my Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts for the best baked chicken! Or, you can always just use that rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
- Olive Oil
- Green Pepper
- Red Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese: I love using white and yellow cheddar for this recipe, but you can definitely opt for your favorite shredded cheese.
- Fajita Seasoning Mix: You can’t go wrong with my 5 Minute Homemade Fajita Seasoning.
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro: Parsley works too! Use your favorite garnish.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas Casserole
This casserole comes together in no time with your pre-cooked chicken breasts. It’s the perfect meal-prep chicken dinner!
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 350˚F and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Shred Chicken: Shred the baked chicken breasts and then transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Heat Oil: Heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Cook Peppers & Onions: Add peppers and onions to the hot oil; sprinkle with salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and add to the chicken. Set aside.
- Make Seasoning: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, half of shredded cheese, fajitas seasoning mix, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add to Chicken: Add cream cheese mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.
- Assemble: Transfer chicken mixture to previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake: Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is melted.
- Garnish & Serve: Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
Tips for the Best Fajitas
- Make Homemade Seasoning for Best Flavor: I highly recommend making my easy homemade fajita seasoning. It only adds a few minutes to this recipe, and the flavor it provides is well worth it. You will never want to use store-bought fajita seasoning again.
- Shred Chicken to Your Liking: If you want a chunkier chicken casserole, you can cut your baked chicken breasts into cubes rather than shredding them. It’s completely up to you and your preferences.
- Add More Meat if You Want: You can easily make these chicken fajitas into a meat-lovers casserole! Try adding sliced sausage, ham, bacon or any other meats you love.
This recipe is so versatile and fun to play around with. There are also tons of sides that taste amazing with these chicken fajitas!
- Beans: Pair your casserole with a classic side of refried beans. Green beans are also a tasty option! My personal favorites are these Lemon Butter Green Beans or these slow-cooked Green Beans and Tomatoes.
- Rice: Another classic combination for chicken fajitas is rice. I often pair this recipe with my Creamy Garlic Butter Parmesan Rice.
- Tortillas: Make these fajitas into tacos, burritos, and quesadillas! Both corn and flour tortillas work well for this. Add diced tomato, avocado and salsa if you like.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- You can easily store your leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just place them in an airtight container.
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave to your preferred temperature.
- You can also store your leftovers in the freezer where they’ll last for a good month or two. When you’re ready to reheat them, let your fajitas thaw out on the counter and then bake until the cheese starts to bubble.
Chicken Fajitas Casserole
- 1 pound cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened, cut up into pieces for easier mixing
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Shred the baked chicken breasts and then transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add strips of peppers and onions to the hot oil; sprinkle with salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and add to the chicken. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, HALF of shredded cheese, fajitas seasoning mix, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the chicken and peppers; mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer chicken mixture to previously prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve and enjoy!