This easy Pizza Burger recipe is sure to become a family favorite! A hearty meat filling is layered with pepperoni and melty mozzarella cheese to make a wonderful toasted sandwich in around 30 minutes.
These burgers are the joy of my family’s favorite meal! It’s a unique and delicious take on pizza turned into a sandwich! It’s fun, packed with flavor, and so easy to prepare. Perfect for a quick, satisfying meal that everyone will be happy with.
Why You’ll Love Pizza Burgers
- Quick: You’ll need less than a half hour to throw together this burger sandwich, which makes it one of my weeknight staples.
- Comfort Food: Running the burgers under the broiler melts the mozzarella to perfection and the rolls get toasty, warm, and crispy.
- Hearty: The combination of beef, pepperoni, and cheese means this pizza burger will keep you full.
Pizza Burger Ingredients
- Olive oil – I always use extra virgin olive oil.
- Yellow onion – You can sub a red onion if needed.
- Lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Dried herbs – Oregano and basil.
- Marinara sauce – Use your favorite store-bought sauce or make your own.
- Worcestershire sauce – You can omit this if you don’t have it or don’t like it.
- Hamburger buns – Or you can use the rolls of your choice.
- Mozzarella cheese – Or whatever cheese you like.
How to Make Pizza Burgers
- Sauté the onion and garlic. In a large skillet cook the diced yellow onion and minced garlic in the olive oil.
- Cook the beef. Then add the lean ground beef and cook it until it’s browned and cooked through. Season the beef with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Add the sauces. Pour in the pizza and Worcestershire sauces and simmer.
- Assemble. First, toast the buns.
- Add the meat. Spoon the meat mixture equally onto the bottom half of each bun.
- Layer on pepperoni and cheese. Arrange the pepperoni and cheese on top of the meat.
- Broil. Broil the sandwiches until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Finish. Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place the top half of the buns on each one.
Topping & Variation Ideas
You can make this recipe exactly as written or add different toppings.
- Make sliders. These pizza burgers translate perfectly into hand-held sliders! Use smaller rolls and make mini burgers that you can serve as appetizers.
- Try different rolls. You can use any rolls you like to make these burgers, they don’t have to be hamburger rolls. Try sourdough, sweet, or whole grain rolls in this pizza burger recipe.
- Use different cheese. Mozzarella is a classic choice, but I also like pepper Jack or sharp cheddar for extra flavor.
- Add a veggie. I like to toss in a handful of sliced mushrooms when I’m cooking the onion and garlic. And sometimes, I’ll layer a few baby spinach leaves or sprouts on top of the pepperoni and cheese.
Pizza burgers can be served with simple sides like my Avocado Tomato Salad or Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Dressing. Burgers and fries were meant for each other! Try a big plate of Garlic Fries or a vegetable fry like Crispy Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Fries. You can serve a bowl of Mexican Street Corn as a vegetable side to pizza burgers, or make Parmesan Crusted Potatoes to round out your plate.
Storing and Reheating
- Fridge – Wrap the burgers in foil and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Ideally, you will keep the filling and toppings separate when you store it.
- Freezer – Place leftover pizza burger filling in a sealable bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the filling completely in the fridge before assembling the burgers.
- To Reheat – Place the pizza burgers on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven until heated through.
More Beef Recipes to Try
- Zucchini Lasagna with Ground Beef
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos
- Quick Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Pasta Shells and Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices Mozzarella cheese, or cheese of choice
- 18 slices pepperoni
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced yellow onion and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add the lean ground beef to the skillet. Break it up with a spatula and cook until it's browned and cooked through. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season the cooked ground beef with salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil. Stir to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Pour in the pizza or marinara sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes, letting the flavors meld together. Reduce the heat to low and keep the mixture warm.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Split the hamburger buns in half and place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the bottom halves of the buns under the broiler for a minute or two until they are lightly toasted. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning. Remove the toasted buns from the oven, and now it’s time to assemble the pizza burgers.
- Spoon the prepared meat mixture onto the bottom half of each bun, dividing it equally among them.
- Arrange 3 pepperoni slices on top of the meat mixture for each burger.
- Lay a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of the pepperoni.
- Place the open-faced sandwiches back under the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place the top half of the buns on each to complete your pizza burgers. Serve.
- Fridge: If you have leftover assembled burgers, wrap them in foil and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Ideally, you will keep the filling and toppings separate when you store it. Place the filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Place leftover pizza burger filling in a sealable, freezer-safe bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the filling completely in the fridge before assembling the burgers.
- To Reheat: If you are reheating assembled pizza burgers, place them on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven until the bread is crisp, the cheese is melted, and the filling is heated through. If you are assembling the burgers fresh, take the filling from the fridge and follow the instructions to assemble and broil the burgers.